Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saraphina7

Re: Closed caption won't stay on

-Roku device model = TCL 32S327
-serial number = YK00Y4207993
-device ID = JDAOAY207993
-software OS/version = 10.5.0 BUILD 4210-48
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel = This is happening on all channels (HBO Max, Tubi, Netflix, Hulu)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot or a video of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing = I'm not getting any error messages. I just keep setting up CC to always on and then a little while later it's set to off. Then I do it again and again.

I've tried updating everything, etc. but it's not working. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Ejme

I've had the same problem with cc not staying on.  After some investigating (playing with the Roku), I found that cc stayed on when using my most used apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Paramount +) but when I opened HBO/Max the cc were turned off.  I deleted and reinstalled the HBO/Max app but that did not solve the problem.  HBO/Max is the culprit.  Won't be using that app anymore.  Could not find a way to contact HBO/Max.

0 Kudos
jayw
Binge Watcher

It appears that you are absolutely correct. The last program I watched yesterday was on prime (and I had to turn on captions). To experiment, I started a program in Prime this morning and captions were still on. I started a program on HBO Max and captions there were off. I then went back to Prime and found captions off there too. So it certainly seems that HBO Max is the culprit. I sent them an Email about this. Here is their contact information. We'll see what happens.

https://help.hbomax.com/us/ContactUs

support@hbomax.com 

0 Kudos
SilverSterling
Channel Surfer

Yep...HBO MAX is the culprit. Thanks for the feedback! I've submitted a trouble ticket to HBO MAX and hope others will as well. Maybe we can get them to get a quick fix for this issue! Here's the link to contact them...

https://help.hbomax.com/us/contactus

0 Kudos
Cohenhs
Reel Rookie

Followed the 4 steps above from Roku Tech support and no change.  Have to turn on CC for each and every show.  Considering switching to a different streaming device.

jayw
Binge Watcher

The problem is definitely with HBO Max. Anytime I watched an HBO Max program my closed captions would always be "Off". So I turned in a support ticket with them and received the following reply.

I followed their suggestion and it does seem to have resolved the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for your recent contact regarding keeping your HBO Max captions turned to "on".

My name is Anita, with our Advanced Support Team, and I hope to help a bit more with this. We have updated information that is a result of a recent update to the HBO Max app for Roku. Thank you for your continued patience as you've waited.

Please save your closed captions preferences in this manner, as described below.

To change subtitles or closed captions:

1. Start watching something and then press the Play/Pause button on your Roku remote.
  2. Move down and choose the Audio and Subtitles button (speech bubble).
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Subtitles: Choose a subtitle language
    • Closed Captions: Choose English CC.
  4. Press the Back button to save your changes.

Our apologies for any inconvenience since this may be a different or newer way to save your captions. But I hope this resolves the issue so that you don't have to continue to turn them on each time. Please note that our engineers are working to continue to improve this feature."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
RobSpring

The closed captions would NOT work after trying EVERYTHING! I stepped out for 5 minutes while watching the movie "Non-Stop" and when I came back, I reversed the movie to the point I stepped out. CLOSED CAPTIONS!!! It's a glitch folks! Rewind, rewind, rewind! They should have fixed this by now!!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RobSpring

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Do you want closed captions during playback? Have you checked your settings to see if you have captions set to "On Replay"?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mcasella-sc-rr-
Binge Watcher

Will try-and Thanks!!

0 Kudos