Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spookiec47
Reel Rookie

Closed caption wo t stay on

Wow, same problem. Cc won’t stay on. When the tv is turned on you have to go to settings and turn it back on?? It has been set to always on??

18 REPLIES 18
AlabamaAmy

Re: Closed caption won't stay on

Mine started doing this yesterday, and is doing it on all devices. May stay on 30 seconds, might be three minutes, but all channels, all devices. I've unplugged and restarted several times.

SilverSterling
Channel Surfer

Me too! We always keeps the CC to always on. But, for the last few days, it keeps turning off. It happens when we change channels as well as when an episode ends. If I got to watch the next episode of a show, I have to turn captions back on. Thos is happening on both of our Hisense Roku TV's (different year models) as well as our ONN Roku soundbar. Why is this happening and how can I fix it???!!!

RussO
Reel Rookie

Re: Closed caption wo t stay on

Having same problem on my TCL.  CC goes off every time we switch programs 

Philt56
Streaming Star

This is happening on my Roku ultra 2020 also. It used to work but now the closed captioning is off, I turn it back to always on in settings but then when I watch the next day, it’s back off again. Same if I hit the * button while watching HBO max, alway on is always reset back to off the next day I watch. 

SilverSterling
Channel Surfer

I was able to submit a support ticket to Roku and they responded with a fix that worked. Not exactly sure why it worked as I didn't see it download an update. Here are the steps they sent. Hope it helps others....

1. Disable the close captions feature:
Navigate to Settings->Accessibility/captions->Caption mode->Off

2. Restart the Roku device:
Navigate to Settings->System->System restart to restart the Roku device

3. Update the Roku software:
Navigate to Settings->System->System update and select "Check now" option

4. Enable the closed captions feature:
Settings->Accessibility/captions->Caption mode->On always

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

Didn’t help me. After I turned on system closed captioning. I still had to go in HBO max setting and turn it on there. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If the issue remains unresolved with accessing closed captioning, please help us with the required details below for us to send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team, and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot or a video of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
jayw
Binge Watcher

Roku device model TCL 65R615
-serial number: YS00pv454171
-device ID: FW293P454171
-software OS/version: 10.5.0 / Build4210-30.  I tried following the advice seen above which advised turning closed captions off, rebooting the TV, checking for software updates and turning closed captions back on. This did not fix the issue.
-does this issue occur on a specific channel: I have noticed it on HBO Max and Prime channels regularly. It also occurs on other channels sporadically.
HBO Max Ver. 52.10 Build 2.0. Note that HBO Max has its own configuration screen and I have the closed captions setting already set to "Always On".
Prime Ver. 12.3 Build 2021122417
-tracker ID when this issue occurs 71-120-532
-what are you seeing on screen? There is no issue on the screen other that the lack of closed captions.

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

I’ve been watching HBO max and I always have to turn on CC with the * key, it seems the main settings menu doesn’t help. Apple+ Was ok yesterday. 

0 Kudos