Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't change start up channel

I just had the same problem and found out it was definitely having to do with my Harmony remote.........to fix it I just opened my Harmony app on iPhone and edited the starting sequence which was set to HBOMax, then the app asked me if I wanted to delete the channel associated with the starting sequence and I said yes, and saved all the changes. Boom! Now when I open Roku with my Harmony remote it starts on the home page instead of HBOMax. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
SIMO

There absolutely was a way to go to a start up channel on...

There absolutely was a way to go to a start up channel on Roku.  I can no longer find it either.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: There absolutely was a way to go to a start up channel on...

I've had Roku devices for over 8 years. There's never been a way to automatically launch a channel. You can set a Roku TV to automatically select an input (one of the HDMI ports, other video inputs, or the OTA tuner) but again not to auto start any channel shown on the Roku home screen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
HomeBodyIowa
Reel Rookie

I'm looking for it as well. I can default the input on a Roku TV, but on my stick, it's no longer there. Instructions I've found show menu items that I don't see, such as preferences.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

This thread is a little confusing since it's been going on since 2019 and I see that some people are talking about Roku TVs, some people are talking about Roku media players, some people are talking about specific cable-TV-type apps running on Rokus, and some are talking about things they set up using their third-party programmable remote controls.

A Roku media player itself (such as a stick) does not have a predefined startup input. (Or even inputs at all in the sense of a TV.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Strega wrote:

A Roku media player itself (such as a stick) does not have a predefined startup input. 

And no Roku player has ever had such a function. If something thinks they had such a function, they are not remembering accurately.

A Roku TV can be set to start on a specific input (OTA tuner, HDMI input, or Roku home screen). It cannot be configured to start on a specific OTA channel, nor any Roku channel contained on the home screen. A Roku player can only boot onto the main home screen, nothing else. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jjag65

What you’re talking about is a setting found in the Spectrum App.  The original poster is talking about is a default app that opens upon roku start up.

0 Kudos
kigga
Reel Rookie

Maybe I'm late, but same issue, My roku Hisense television always starts at one particular channel/app..

There 100% was a setting to decide which channel was opened/started when tv was turned on, cannot find said setting anymore, any direction would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
kigga
Reel Rookie

Ok update...

Found it you can program roku to open on Live tv, home screen, specific input etc.
But NOT to a specific app (or havent found it yet)... I'm happy with opening to live TV, but would prefer to be able to decide which channel instead of these kids singing...

settings > system > power

0 Kudos
atc98092

@kigga wrote:

Ok update...

Found it you can program roku to open on Live tv, home screen, specific input etc.
But NOT to a specific app (or havent found it yet)

That is correct. Those are the only options with a Roku TV. You can't specify the specific live channel (although I'm pretty sure it starts on the last channel viewed), and you can't have a specific Roku app/channel auto-load. It's been requested, but nothing has come as of yet. 

Dan

0 Kudos