Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Can't Update Roku OS to 11 & Peacock app won't load

Jump to solution

I have a few issues I need help with. First, when I turned my tv on this morning & turned on the roku player, when I clicked on the Philo app, it would open for a moment & go back to the roku home screen. I unplugged and plugged the roku player back in several times & reset the internet connection- didn't help. I then factory reset the roku player and then the Philo app works but the same issue of opening & immediately returning to the home screen has been going on with the Peacock app for over 2 months now and that one is still doing that. Secondly, I wanted to update the ROku operating system to 11 or 11.5 but when I click on update software, it tells me everything's up to date even though the Roku OS is at 10.5.0 Why won't it up date to the 11 or 11.5 ?

I have Roku Express 4K+ Model 3941RW

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can't Update Roku OS to 11 & Peacock app won't load

Jump to solution

Hi @MikeSW1974,

We appreciate your patience regarding this issue.

We would recommend trying to check for a system update after 10-15 minutes from now by going to Settings > System > System update. Then once your device has been updated, try checking any channel if you are still having an issue.

For more information about how to check for a manual update on your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How to update the software on your Roku TV or Roku streaming player | Official Roku Support

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You didn't include your Roku model number (not the name, the number). From the sounds of it, you have an older player that is no longer supported. That would explain why the OS won't update, and is likely the reason a newer channel like Peacock isn't working as well. Many providers restrict their channels from working on older devices. 

But we must know your player's model number to answer for certain.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's Roku Express 4K+ Model 3941RW so it's not an old model 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks for that. Just needed confirmation. Since it is such a new model, I'm now suspicious that there's something corrupt in the OS that likely can't be flushed without a factory reset. I hate recommending this, and it really should be a last step effort. Before that I would try uninstalling any channel that is acting up (Peacock and Philo were the two mentioned), reboot the Roku (critical step, don't skip) then add the channels back in. 

It's unlikely a misbehaving channel install would be blocking the OS update, but stranger things have happened. You might also try connecting to a phone hotspot and then checking for an OS update. That has worked with some users that were unable to complete the initial user setup with a new device. Perhaps that might work for the OS update as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you; I already did a factory reset and I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app that was messing up. Philo is back to norm but Peacock tv isn't and It still tells me my os is up-to-date  at 10.5.0 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MikeSW1974,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that your Roku device is unable to update to the latest OS, is that correct?

We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Ah bummer. Sounds like the player has a defect then. Roku is pretty good about honoring their warranty, but it's only for one year. Not certain if yours is still covered. Let @RokuDanny-R take a look and see if they can offer anything. 

Dan

MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku Express 4K+ Model 3941RW
Serial Number X01600MFURNL
Device ID SOAH514FURNL
Software Version 10.5.0 build 4193-CR

0 Kudos
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

ty for trying to help 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@MikeSW1974 

I think some Roku devices may get stuck/locked or "forgotten" when users request a firmware rollback.  Looks like you did this back in June 2022 for a HDCP issue.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/OS-10-5-HDCP-Error-need-assistance/m-p/804499#...

-----

Likely going to need to have Roku push the update manually.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos