Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BjacksonRN

Can I get a new 4K streaming system WITHOUT a voice controlled remote?

Jump to solution

Hi, I have a couple of 4K streaming boxes for my TVs, and a remote went missing, And since one of my boxes is starting to have errors, I thought I might just replace it since they’re not crazy expensive. However, I’m having trouble finding something that will stream 4K but doesn’t have voice control. I don’t want voice control anything in my house. Ever. And it looks like the only way I can get a regular remote with a system is to get a system that doesn’t stream 4K. That’s awfully shortsighted. Is there something I’m missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Re: Can I get a new 4K streaming system WITHOUT a voice controlled remote?

Jump to solution

Even though the remote has the voice of buttons you are not forced to use it. You can still use it as a regular remote but it has the option to push the microphone and say “watch Netflix”. The voice feature is a convenience feature not something you need to use. And it does not function unless you push the microphone on the remote. So if you’re paranoid about your device listening in on you don’t be. All of my remotes have the voice feature but 99% of time I never use it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Even though the remote has the voice of buttons you are not forced to use it. You can still use it as a regular remote but it has the option to push the microphone and say “watch Netflix”. The voice feature is a convenience feature not something you need to use. And it does not function unless you push the microphone on the remote. So if you’re paranoid about your device listening in on you don’t be. All of my remotes have the voice feature but 99% of time I never use it

BjacksonRN

Jump to solution

Thank you! Yes, I am paranoid about that - with enough experience to justify it. But if it doesn’t listen without pushing a button first, I can live with that. 

FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There is nothing to be paranoid over to be honest with you. I use my Alexa all the time. Siri on my phone and more 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BjacksonRN 

The Express 4K model 3940 (not the 4K+ model 3941) sold exclusively through Walmart has a simple IR-only remote.

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

All recent Roku except Stick and TV will work with Simple IR remote (second hand) or universal remote that has Roku IR codes (oneforall7935 recommended)

Not a Roku employee