Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Aquatic Life Removed (again)?

Jump to solution

Hi @Emissary35 

Thanks for the post in the Roku Community regarding the Aquatic Life screensaver no longer being available on your Roku Streaming Stick. 

Have you verified that the screensaver is no longer available in Settings > Theme > Screensavers? If so, can you please provide us with a screenshot of your screensavers screen so we can better understand the issue you are seeing?

Once we have this information, we will be able to look into the issue further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

The Aquatic Life screensaver is still available in my settings. But it is NOT showing up in the "My Screensavers" section like it used to. It disappeared from there and now only shows up in the "Popular Screensavers" section when you scroll down. I can click on the screensaver in the Popular category but it asks me to install it, it then puts the Aquatic Life screensaver as a channel tile on my home screen. I DO NOT want the screensaver as a channel tile!

Before Aquatic life appeared in the "My Screensavers" section and I could use it WITHOUT having to install it as a channel on the home screen. It still appears this way on my two Roku Ultra models. But on my Streaming Stick 4K it makes me add it as a channel.

20230307_165542.jpg20230307_165624.jpg20230307_165640.jpgWhy is it doing this? Why did it remove itself from the "My Screensavers" section and uninstall itself without my permission? Why do I have to install it as a channel in order to get it back?

I do not have to install it as a channel on my Roku Ultra models, it just works!

Model: 3820R2 - Streaming Stick 4K

Serial Number: X025000NLSS7

Software Version: 11.5.0 - build 4315-E6

Device ID: S0J7329NLSS7

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Emissary35 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the Aquatic Life screensaver.

Have you tried setting the screensaver again and seeing if you are experiencing the issue of the screensaver not being saved as your set screensaver?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to investigate the issue further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

You clearly do not understand what my problem is. I can set the Aquatic Life as my screensaver and it works. My problem is why do I have to install it as a channel tile that appears on my home screen? If I remove the channel tile from the home screen it removes the Aquatic Life screensaver and I have to install it again, which then returns the Aquatic Life tile to the home screen.

It was NOT doing this before. I had the screensaver in my list of screensavers and it worked WITHOUT installing it as a channel on the home screen. I've explained this twice already and it seems nobody understands this simple problem.

I want to set Aquatic Life as my screensaver while NOT having a channel tile for it on my home screen! That's how it worked before on my Streaming Stick 4K and that's how it still works right now on TWO of my Roku Ultra devices.

Why has it changed on my Streaming Stick 4K so I have to install it as a channel tile on my home screen of channels?

Please refer my issue to somebody that can actually comprehend what I'm talking about. Because it's not difficult.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Emissary35 

As indicated in your screenshots, you have Aquatic Life v.3.0 build 9000013.  On all my devices with this version number, it is available as both a screensaver and a channel.  If you choose to use it as a screensaver, it automatically adds it as a channel.  If you remove the Aquatic Life channel, it will remove the Aquatic Life as your preferred/active screensaver. (remains as available in popular screensaver, just no longer set as active.).  If you choose to again set as active, it merely installs the channel again.

Earlier "versions" of the Aquatic Life v.3.x apparently installed both a channel and screensaver.  Aquatic Life v.3.0 build 9000013 "fixed" this issue of seperate simulataneous channel and screensaver, depending on who you ask.  Users at the time of release complained about the seperate channel loss/removal. (could only be used as screensaver, no seperate ability to launch as a channel).

So... it looks like v.3.0 build 9000013 has reverted back to its previous behavior. (earlier 3.x releases).  Personally, does not bother me to have it hanging around as another channel icon on the screen.  What one user sees as a programming bug, another user may see as an additional useful feature. (especially those who mourned its earlier loss).

And you are correct about your Ultra devices.  If they are using the Aquatic Life v.13.0.90000013 (note the 13, not 3), then these will not show the additional channel/app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

Thanks for the explanation. It's so nice to finally have someone competent understand what I was talking about. I don't get why people would want a screensaver tile for Aquatic Life (or any other screensaver) on their homes screen. When you can activate it manually by going to it in the screensaver section and clicking "preview", or just wait for it to come on by setting the screensaver time  at 10 minutes.

I for one don't want all of my screensavers to be installing channel tiles on my home screen, cluttering up space and mixing in with my actual channels apps. So I think whoever did this made a terrible decision.

It needs to be changed so that you can add screensavers to your "My Screensavers" section to select as you want without having to have them installed as channel tiles too.

This is VERY annoying and completely unnecessary behavior!

I want "Aquatic Life v.13.0.90000013" on my Streaming Stick 4K just like my Ultras so I don't have to have it as a channel!

0 Kudos
Compulynx
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku just does not seem to "get it" about the aquatic life screensaver. MANY of us have children and grandkids who love it. They COULD just go to the main menu and click on the tile. NOW, Roku in it's abundant wisdom has removed that option ONCE AGAIN!

Voice and voice loudly your opinion on this removal. Seems to be only on Ultra devices. Why? Who knows?

0 Kudos
sabrin514
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I REALLY hate how Roku constantly messes with the themes. If I wanted to change it then I would. Stop acting like creepy, orweillian Facistbook and changing things that users never asked to change! P.S I will never EVER buy one of your TV's, for this exact reason.