Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S3ND1T
Channel Surfer

Annoying ad spot holders on live channels

Is there any way to either mute the ads on the Roku live tv channels? In particular the the modern marvels and Newsmax. 
The modern marvels is the worst of the two and defeats the purpose of watching it to fall asleep because it wakes from a dead sleep every time. looping the modern marvels channel preview would be a much better solution. I’d also prefer to listen to an actual commercial. Unless the purpose is to limit how much you can watch the channel to save Roku bandwidth. 
The Newsmax spots are also annoying sounding but are even more annoying when they cut off the programming in mid-sentence. 

10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Annoying ad spot holders on live channels

@S3ND1T 

Is the issue the ad content or the sound level of the ad?

I have found watching Newsmax on Pluto and Rumble to be the better choice, although I occasionally watch on the Roku Channel.  The Newsmax Channel/app itself has too many issues to deal with.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
S3ND1T
Channel Surfer

In the case of the modern marvels channel it’s the sound of a ticking/clicking snare drum type sound with a “whiring” of mechanical robot arms moving.

like I said I usually just put modern marvels on for background noise while I fall asleep but these noises wake me up.

The Newsmax channel has an annoying old-timey news flash type sound. While that can be mildly irritating, the biggest problem is that it cuts out time sensitive programming. For instance, it’ll be on the commercial break screen, then go back into programming for a few seconds and then cut right back into the commercial break screen for another minute or so. 
I have tried the Newsmax app on the Roku and I don’t have any issues with it, but I find myself watching on the live TV more often just because its as simple as turning on the TV and it’s on.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@S3ND1T 

I know what you are talking about with Newsmax on the Roku Channel LiveTV both with the ads and the loud promo.  Usually it will cut out for an ad mid sentence or even sometimes near the end of the broadcast and when it returns, the next show is already running.

As mentioned before, you can certainly try PlutoTV (free) if you haven't tried it yet for Newsmax (ch. 236) and they are also showing Modern Marvels on demand Seasons 14-15.

Not much can be done with the ads and the quirks.  Even if you are told someone will look into it, no one will.  With a lot of the free Streaming Channels/apps, just kind of have to find the one that works the best for you/annoys you the least with ads. (and in this case, noises).

If you haven't already, you can try the other Channels/apps that have Live TV like Pluto, Plex, Redbox, and Xumo.  There are others - not sure how familiar you are with the Roku platform so hopefully not telling you what you already know.

I wish I could offer you a solution, but there really isn't one in this case.  Best you can do is maybe enable Night Mode or Volume Leveling under the Audio Settings so at least not so jarring.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@S3ND1T  Enable sound leveling. Press the * button while streaming and go into your sound settings 

0 Kudos
S3ND1T
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion but it isn’t really applicable to my setup. I do watch it on the TV but it is just as annoying on the iPad which is my primary viewing device. 
I was hoping that if enough people agree or complain, maybe Roku would do something to change it. For instance, the spot holders on Newsmax used to just be silent. It was just recently that they updated the spots with audio. 

DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@S3ND1T  So your issue is not with your Roku. Your issue is watching the Roku channel on your iPad. Correct? Probably isn’t much you can do about it. Roku is providing users free content via the Roku Channel live tv or on demand. 90% of users are viewing that on there Roku device. If you watch the same thing on your Roku with volume leveling enabled does the problem go away?

0 Kudos
S3ND1T
Channel Surfer

It’s not a volume level issue as it is an type of sound complaint. The device isn’t relative to the issue. I thought that the feature request area was the proper place to post. I guess I’m just requesting that Roku either mute the interstitial spots or change them to be less annoying. I was just hoping to generate enough common interest with the issue to have someone at roku do something to change it. 
Give it a listen. I’m sure there are less people who find the sounds pleasant than find the irritating. I get that the content is “free” but like I said, I’d rather watch a legit commercial. 

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@S3ND1T  I very much doubt Roku will change anything. If you want to suggest a feature and post it in this area. Here is the link 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos
S3ND1T
Channel Surfer

You’re probably right but it has worked before with apple. Thanks for the insight and the link. I’ll post something over there.

0 Kudos