Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mstepp

Airplay Video Freezes on Roku TV

When I use Airplay to screen mirror/extend display a video from my Macbook Pro laptop using Google Chrome and Safari, the video and audio pair correctly for 10-30 minutes. At some point, the video freezes while the audio continues. When mirroring, the video continues to play on my laptop and the audio plays from the tv. I have restarted the TV, router, laptop, and reset Airplay devices but the problem persists. Both the TV and laptop are using the same 5G wireless connection. This issue seems to have started earlier this year as I was able to cast to the TV without incident throughout 2021. 

Roku TV C105X
TCL Model 50S425
Software 11.0.0
Airplay Version 3.3.0.57
App Version 31.101.0
App Engine 11.0.0 (roku4-11R105):apple
Streaming Engine 2.162.1

17 REPLIES 17
Anon33
Reel Rookie

Re: Airplay Video Freezes on Roku TV

I am having the same issue with my MacBook Pro 2020 M1 running Monterey 12.5.1 and the latest version of Roku on my Roku stick. This happens with any sort of display extension from my MBP to Roku (i.e. this freeze happens if I'm just switching between any app. It freezes on the TV screen when I Airplay to the Roku stick). The freezing happens not matter what app or thing I'm doing on my computer (with  photos, videos, Apple TV app on my MBP, Safari, Mail, Notes, Contacts, etc). I know it's not the computer or the TV because if I Airplay directly through the TV (i.e. don't use Roku stick) it works flawlessly. I also noticed it doesn't happen if I use my wife's older MacBook Air (2015), also running on Monterey 12.5.1 so I'm wondering if it's related to the M1 in my MacBook Pro and it's a Roku M1 bug. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Anon33

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Anon33
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny, 

Here is the info

Model: 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial number: YHOOAU707443

Software version: 11.0.0 • build 4193-50

Device ID: 21317A707443

Issue report tracker
Model: 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+
Serial number: YHOOAU707443 (21317A707443)
Software version: 11.0.0 • build 4193-50
Please use issue ID 43-348-186 to report the current
issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Anon33

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mayqlaf
Reel Rookie

I have exactly the same issue, both with my iPhone and my Macbook Air. Both are fully updated, and the Roku TV is updated as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mayqlaf

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mayqlaf
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny. 

When I use Apple AirPlay with my Roku TV it plays just fine for the first ten minutes or so, then the screen freezes, but the audio continues. 

The issue is the same using Apple AirPlay on both my iPhone and my Macbook Air. They are fully updated, and so is my Roku TV.

The steps I've taken have been to unplug my tv and restart it and restart my iPhone/Macbook Air but the same issue still occurs. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mayqlaf

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-external device brand, model, OS version
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lla
Reel Rookie

My Airplay is also freezing, or I'm getting a blank/white screen with just the audio

0 Kudos