Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joebelfiore
Reel Rookie

After update, Roku 3930X shows nothing - black screen only

I have a 3930X that I've been using for quite some time ... was working fine.

A week ago, I was on the road at a hotel, had it setup and used it to watch shows... everything was fine.  I noticed it prompting me to take an update... which I did... and since then it doesn't display ANYTHING.  It's just black, always.  (no logo, no UX, no nothing).

I've since tried this on 3 different TVs, and I'm certain USB is powered.   I've also tried depressing the rest button with a pin... nothing works.

Seems like the update horked the device...  is there a way to roll back or recover?

thx!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: After update, Roku 3930X shows nothing - black screen only

Hi @joebelfiore,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We understand that you are experiencing a black screen with your Roku device after an update. 

We'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Is there a light showing on your device?
  2. Have tried to connect to a power outlet in the wall using the USB power adapter that came with the Roku?

We would also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What to do if you cannot see the picture from your Roku® streaming player on your TV | Official Roku...

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
joebelfiore
Reel Rookie

Thank you for the help, Mary! 

I don't see any light at all on the face of the device -- I've tried 3 different USB cables and 4 different USB power sources (including 2 that are direct-wall-mounts and 1 that I use to charge my beefy laptop).  Unfortunately,  I don't still have the USB adapter that came with the device.  😞

I read the article and tried all the steps there as well.

Just to be sure... the white light should appear as soon as power is connected while the device is booting?  I see no light even after waiting a few minutes.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @joebelfiore,

Thanks for following up regarding your issue with your Roku device.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device.

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
joebelfiore
Reel Rookie

Still not resolved.

Device serial # is S008524REC29

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @joebelfiore

Thanks for the follow-up.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos