Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DouglasF

Add Content Keeper Certificate to TCL Roku TV?

Hello,

I work at a school with filtered content via Content Keeper.  I can't seem to find directions for installing the Content Keeper Certificate (or ANY certificate) onto any of our Roku Pros or Roku based TVs.

This wasn't a problem until some of our staff started to get iPads.  The iPads do have the Content Keeper certificate, but the nature of iPads & AirPlay is that if both devices have YouTube, then it'll have the AirPlay device do the heavy lifting and stream the YouTube video directly instead of streaming it via the iPad.

But the Roku doesn't have the Content Keeper certificate, so whenever you attempt to play a YouTube video, it's just a black screen with a pinwheel.

This behavior is identical to the Apple TVs, except we can easily install the Content Keeper certificate onto the Apple TVs.  I've yet to find a way to do that on a Roku.

Thanks,

Doug

5 REPLIES 5
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Add Content Keeper Certificate to TCL Roku TV?

Probably can't be done.

Roku really focuses on consumer, with no institutional capabilities (I.e. school, hotel, hospital etc.).

I haven't checked but I bet Roku doesn't even support basic network management like SNMP agent, nor 802.1x certs for WiFi security (replacing WPA-PSK)

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@DouglasF  My wife is a teacher as well as several other family members. I’ve never once heard of any school using Roku devices. Does your IT department even allow for a Roku device to be on the net work? As of right now there is absolutely no way to filter content on a Roku device. Has already mentioned the focus of a Roku is for consumers not for schools or private companies. You cannot install anything on a Roku TV. You can only add streaming channels from the channel store.

DouglasF

All of our school's content is filtered through a physical 8e6 content filtering device, so it doesn't matter what channels are loaded onto it.  Since all data is filtered to and from outside, it requires an SSL certificate so browsers and devices don't think the data is being hijacked maliciously.  Without the certificate, most content won't make it to the device or will throw up constant error messages.

The reason we were trying Roku is because, ironically, the Roku appears to handle AirPlay better than the AppleTV, especially with our older devices.  We also probably have 50/50 mix of Chromebooks and Apple devices, and the AppleTV doesn't work with Chrome devices without having to purchase additional applications, and the Chromecast has even more restrictions than the Roku.

I was hoping there was a workaround.

0 Kudos
DouglasF

Well, this is troublesome.  AppleTV performance is mediocre at best, and it doesn't work with the growing number of Chromebooks that we have.  And the Chromecast is even more limited and restricted than the Roku.  I was really hoping the Roku would work, it would have solved a lot of issues.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I browsed their website and they say things like:  "ContentKeeper Cloud works across every web browser, device, and platform (iOS, Mac, Windows, Chrome, IoT, BYOD, and more)".  So, I would call them and if they push back, remind them that Roku is a device, a platform, an IoT, a BYOD and a "more" so it should be well covered! 

0 Kudos