Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NessieM
Reel Rookie

A message displays on TV saying Roku is overheating.

We get the message displayed that the Roku is overheating ONLY when we watch HBO. Why is this? We have done all the suggestions- turning the TV off, moving the Roku further away from the TV....We have had this Roku for a year- this never happened until a week ago, when we started streaming HBO.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: A message displays on TV saying Roku is overheating.

Hey @NessieM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Try removing HBO Max then re-install it back in. To ensure the process is successful, make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel again. You can check this Support link for detailed instructions: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

If the overheating message persists, please reply here with the serial number of the affected device. It can be located in Settings > System > About

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Hi-I have ordered the HDMI extender and done all of the recommendations. The device gets very hot even when not in use and I’m getting the on screen warning. Serial # is yhooex130603 Roku premier.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Pittieposse

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the HDMI extender is only for Roku Streaming Sticks, and will not work with your Roku Premier as it simply uses a HDMI cable to connect to your TV.

I have passed along your information to our Support team who will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos