Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveWood
Binge Watcher

A female voice talks in the beginning of anything I watch. How do I shut it off?

I have this issue frequently when I am watching a series where it segues from one episode to another of the same series, (I.E, Bad Batch, Wednesday, Velma, Etc)  the select is not selected,  I have to exit the show and restart it to get rid of the Voice over it is becoming an issue.

12 REPLIES 12
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: A female voice talks in the beginning of anything I watch. How do i shut it off?

Hi @DaveWood 

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel? If yes, please reply here with the channel name. We would also recommend making sure that the screen reader is turned off by pressing the star (*) button on your remote 4 times. Note that performing the same action will enable the screen reader. 

For more information, check out this link: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
DaveWood
Binge Watcher

Re: A female voice talks in the beginning of anything I watch. How do i shut it off?

I started to notice it on Disney +, then also on Free Vee, and Amazon, yesterday it happened on the Netflix channel app.

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@DaveWood On the Roku device go to settings, accessibility, screen reader. and turn to off

DaveWood
Binge Watcher

It HAS BEEN OFF Since I have had the TV's  Every time I have this issue it IS OFF.  I even just checked it just before you sent this., 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If it is off, then the voice isn't being generated by your Roku. It's something within the channel, perhaps the audio track being played. But there's no Roku setting that creates a voice besides the one you have said is turned off. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DaveWood
Binge Watcher

When it happens I also check and have checked numerous times the in Channel app settings and everything is off when t happens.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@DaveWood

Thanks for the update. 

Sorry to hear about the issue. We can see that the Screen reader on your Roku device settings is turned off. There are a few possible troubleshooting steps we can try to resolve the issue. Restart your device: Unplug your device from power for at least 10 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. Disable audio description on your TV, if any: If your TV has the option to turn off the audio description, try disabling it. If you've tried the above steps and are still experiencing the issue, try to reach out to the support team for the specific channels you're having trouble with.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
bamacat

Re: a female voice talks in the beginning of anything i watch. How do i shut it off?

There’s no such button on either of my remotes.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: a female voice talks in the beginning of anything i watch. How do i shut it off?

@bamacat wrote:

There’s no such button on either of my remotes.

The button you want is the * button, which is below the directional pad button and above the fast forward button. That button exists on all Roku remotes. Press it four times quickly and it turns the voice guide on/off. You can completely disable it in the Settings menu under Settings/Accessibility/Screen reader. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos