Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

windows 10 not displaying on Roku TV

I am trying to connect a windows 10 PC to my tv.  The TV will display the boot screen but once the login screen comes up, the tv goes black and stays black.  This pc works via HDMI on other tvs and monitors I have tried.  I have tried all the HDMI inputs and tried changing between auto and HDMI2.0 on each.  The firmware on the TV is up to date as is the PC OS.

TV Model: TCL Model 55S401

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: windows 10 not displaying

Sounds like your computer isn't using a resolution that your TV supports. Remember that it's not only the resolution itself, but the refresh rate has to be correct as well. Your TV supports 4K, but perhaps your computer doesn't, so it's sending a resolution/refresh rate that the TV doesn't like. HDMI is supposed to auto-negotiate the correct resolution, but sometimes it fails. So manually check the resolution the computer is sending and try to set it manually. My Sharp Roku TV works fine when I connect my work laptop and offers 4K/30 resolution. But it has a high end graphics card that lower cost computers won't have. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If that were the case, then wouldn't any tv with HDMI in not display it?   While my Roku TV is 4k, I know the pc is not. Yet if I plug the PC into other TVs with HDMI and a 1080 display it will work fine.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

No, it can be device specific. Some TVs may negotiate the resolution correctly, while the TCL might be making an error. That's why I suggested trying to set it manually. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

How do I figure out what the refresh rate should be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Televisions generally accept 24/30/60 Hz refresh rates. Try 1080/60 for starters. 

Dan
0 Kudos