Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zkmdh
Visitor

stuck in reboot loop on wireless scan

sharp roku tv (sharp support says it'a a roku issue - tv works with cable input in store mode - more on that in a bit).  tv has been working fine for 1.5 yrs.  turned tv on and it started the setup process.  1st step is select language.  no problem.  second step automatically starts "wireless scan".  it never finishes.  just hangs then reboots itself.  endless loop.  i have tried rebooting and factory reset a half dozen times.  i can get the roku to work in "store" mode (as opposed to "home" mode) where it doesn't attempt to scan for wireless networks. loses all streaming functionality in store mode, it's basically just a "dumb" tv in store mode, so that's not an option.
oh, and roku support was pretty much worthless.  tried chatting.  explained problem.  first question was "what is the problem you are having when streaming?".  obviously not listening.  then support agent dropped the chat.  so i tried submitting a ticket via email.  was sent a link to what to do if your roku won't connect to the selected network.  uh, i can't even get to the "select network" step!!!!!  any thoughts?  is it toast?

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: stuck in reboot loop on wireless scan

Thanks for the note. Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! 

You'll want to contact your TV manufacturer directly for additional support or warranty services. You can reach Sharp support here: http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ContactUs.aspx

Cheers,
Tanner
0 Kudos
zkmdh
Visitor

Hi Tanner.  I tried Sharp first, went through their diagnostics.  They say contact Roku because the tv works when in store mode.  it hangs on the roku wireless scan step which is a software issue.  i tend to agree. sounds like lots of roku reboot issues out there.  getting frustrated with roku - especially support.  same guy i had on chat is now responding to emails with totally inane responses - just checking boxes and reducing the issue queue.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're running into here. It sounds like you may have had a hardware issue occur related to the wireless components in the TV. If those components have somehow failed, the issue would only likely present whenever the TV tries to utilize functionality related to those components. i.e. Attempting to connect to a network. Warranty or repair services would need to be handled directly by the TV manufacturer in that case. 

The only further resolution we could suggest would be to try performing a factory reset (which you state you have already done), or you can try to re-install the latest software update via the USB drive method. Sharp support can help direct you to their site where these updates are available, and assist you with that process. Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer. 

Cheers,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Wrwlnd

Tanner,

I hate to break it to you, but this is not a problem to be pushed onto the TV manufacturer. I say this because I have a Roku 3 That is experiencing the Exact same issue. I understand You think you're helping but this is worthless customer service at it's worst!!! You cannot continue to blame the manufacturer of the TV when there are numerous threads complaining about this issue with only slight differences in the descriptions. 

I do a factory reset, get through the language selection screen, and immediately the ROKU locks up when scanning for wireless networks (It never finds one and the spinning Icon freezes). I can occasionally boot it with a wired connection, but this also enters endless reboot loops upon restarting the ROKU. Is there any way to go back to an earlier firmware version? I have updated to the latest firmware and that is the only thing that changed prior to these errors occurring

If you want to be helpful, Please acknowledge there is a legitimate problem and find us a real solution. We don't need canned customer service responses pushing blame onto anyone but ROKU #Roku3#

Sincerely, 

- Fed up customers

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Wrwlnd wrote:

Tanner,

I hate to break it to you, but this is not a problem to be pushed onto the TV manufacturer. I say this because I have a Roku 3 That is experiencing the Exact same issue. I understand You think you're helping but this is worthless customer service at it's worst!!! You cannot continue to blame the manufacturer of the TV when there are numerous threads complaining about this issue with only slight differences in the descriptions. 

I had a similar problem with an Insignia Roku TV. The only recourse was to take it back to the store and exchange it, because it was defective. Yours sounds similar. So in my case, it was a TV manufacturer problem, not a Roku problem. With the TVs, Roku does not manufacturer the hardware, only supply the OS.

Now your Roku 3 is not a new player, so I assume it's worked for some time. But electronics can break. I know it's not what you want to hear, but if it's a hardware issue, there's nothing Roku can do to resolve the problem. The Roku 3 is going to be out of warranty (which is one year), so there's nothing to do with it. If you're unhappy with Roku, you can get an Amazon Fire TV, an Apple TV, or Nvidia Shield. But again, they are all electronic devices, and can fail. There's no device with a better value than a Roku player, although the Fire TV is close. Apple TV is really expensive, as is the Shield. But they both have capabilities that the Roku does not have. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the note. Roku doesn not manufacture Roku TVs, and support is handled directly by each TV manufacturer. Given this, the previous response applied to Roku TVs in context.

A few additional questions here: 

- Have you tried connecting your Roku player to a different wireless network to see if you experience the same issue, such as a mobile hotspot?

- Do you have a micro-SD card inserted in your device? If so, have you tried removing this, then restarting the device and connecting again?

- Have you tried connecting an ethernet cable to your player to see if the same issue occurs?

With more information, we can help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
tk524

I am having the same exact issue with a LG Roku TV, so this issue is occurring across multiple manufacturer brands of Roku TVs.  I have owned this TV for three years and it has worked fine.  A few months ago, it started (sometimes) rebooting repeatedly whenever trying to connect to the wireless.  I eventually decided to factory reset to see if it would correct the issue.  However now I am stuck at the factory reset stage, because when it tries to locate wireless networks, it again freezes and then reboots itself.  I never get to the stage of picking a network and nothing else is plugged into the TV. 

So, now, in trying to fix my TV by rebooting it, it has become unusable. 

This is the same issue I'm having with mine, too. Tv is now completely unusable. :C
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing!

Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and more details about your TV, make/model, etc. I'll follow up directly to take a closer look, and see what other recommendations we can make.

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos