trbrod
Channel Surfer

roku express 4k usb adapter

I have the Roku Express 4K and purchased an ethernet adapter for roku express 4k replacement what are the USB ports for. I don't see anything in the settings to access them?  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku express 4k usb adapter

You bought a combination usb to ethernet adapter & usb hub. The usb hub part is useless with the roku express 4k, sorry. If the usb to ethernet part works to give you wired internet and power for the express 4k, good use it. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
trbrod
Channel Surfer

thank you...why are the usb ports there for?  The description when I bought it mentioned "storage".  got on amazon.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The only usb to ethernet adapters that work with express 4k are 10/100 adapters. a 10/100/1000 will not work. 

All the usb to ethernet adapters with built in hub are ALL 10/100/1000, they won't work anyways so why care what extra usb ports are for? 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+ethernet+hub&crid=2MW430FF88IR8&sprefix=usb+ethernet+hub%2Caps%2C106&...

Edmund

0 Kudos
trbrod
Channel Surfer

I ordered this specifially for Roku extress 4k   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BFPQ3V5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

which is why I'm asking what the USB ports are for as on amazon it says storage??  but there isn't anything in the roku menu to access it.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

I hope it works. This usually is used on a device with one usb input, this replaces the used usb and adds a few more. Just like a power strip. But in the case of the roku the lone usb this connecting to is used for powering the roku, now you're adding internet through a ethernet port, so its doing two things instead of one. You won't be able to add a third task by adding storage where the usb built into the roku was NEVER meant for storage. 

You paid a few dollars more for something that won't work on the roku, sorry. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
trbrod
Channel Surfer

I guess that company selling it has false information on Amazon about this unit.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

My last statement was that extra usb ports won't work on the roku 4k, it being 10/100 ethernet port I hope it will still give you access to wired internet. 

I own the an express 4k+, and I have 10/100 usb to ethernet adapter, what don't have is standard usb to micro usb adapter, since replying in this thread I have sent for an adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Ksmile%C2%AE-Female-Adapter-SamSung-tablets/dp/B01C6032G0

Edmund

0 Kudos
trbrod
Channel Surfer

Yes I definitely get wired connection.  I don't like wireless. 

I don't see what your link has to do with the roku express unit?

0 Kudos
PKuch
Reel Rookie

I bought the same device for express 4k+. You definitely can view pics and play audio and video files off a usb drive if you search and install the Roku Media Player channel. then just run the Roku Media Player and it will detect your usb drive and play the file you select. Enjoy.

0 Kudos