Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eve2
Channel Surfer

roku 55" tv screen is flipped on left side dark in middle and correct on right side... Help?

Jump to solution

20210126_120424.jpg20210126_125054.jpg

Since November my Roku tv has been doing this weird glitch where the right side is fine but the left side flips upside down and the middle gets really dark and grainy. When it first started i would restart it using the remote combination and it would be fine. but lately that's no longer working. the only time it returns back to its normal screen is when it has been off for a while. when I put it back on the screen will be normal for about 5 minutes but then return to the glitched out mode and no matter how many time i do the restarts and reboots it doesn't fix it self. I have only had the tv for two years so I really don't want to have to buy a new one. has anyone ever experienced this? is it a fixable problem?

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: roku 55" tv screen is flipped on left side dark in middle and correct on right side... Help

Jump to solution

I would unplug the tv. Hold the power button for a minute (drains the capacitive electricity remaining in the tv, so I've read). Leave it unplugged overnight (just to be sure. Probably overkill. But, better safe than sorry.). Depress the pinhole reset button in the back of the tv, then plug in while holding that pinhole button. Continue to hold until the front light flashes (maybe 20 seconds?).

If that doesn't do it, I would try different variations. Maybe hold the pinhole while pressing the power button. I've seen people say they fixed a problem doing this slightly different than others say they fixed a problem.

The bottom line is: if a hardware reset doesn't fix it, then you might have to investigate replacing the motherboard (google about the topic, and what the likely board would be). I've read these tvs are pretty simple to fix that way. Just 5 boards that can be found on Amazon and eBay. You might be able to replace a board and fix it.

I doubt it's a Roku software update. You can rule that out by: if the hardware reset restores the screen to normal orientation, then tell the initial setup process that you don't have internet. It will install whatever version of software it came with. If the screen continues to look right, then you could go to home>settings>network, and configure the network connection. The tv will eventually (automatically, within a day or two) check for an update. If the screen goes wacky again, then it's the software update. (You have some options then, if that's the case.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: roku 55" tv screen is flipped on left side dark in middle and correct on right side... Help

Jump to solution

@eve2 

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after following the steps mentioned by @Visitor45763, please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing  

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I didn't understand the purpose/meaning of the photos. If you're saying the problem takes a couple minutes to occur after powering the tv on, that sounds like it's related to operating temperature. (I've seen other problems related that way. Sometimes it's the opposite though, and warming the tv with a hairdryers causes a problem to go away.).

The hardware reset I mentioned (with the pinhole) should fix any problem, or conclusively prove it's hardware. Especially if you tell it you don't have internet, and see if the version of software it installs never has the problem. Then setup your connection in home>settings>network, and see if the problem starts again (within a day or two, which is how long it will take for the automatic update to occur).

You can also look at home>settings>system>system update to see the date the software was last updated. If that date coincides with when this problem began, that would inform you that it's probably the update. 

If it turns out that it's a software update causing it, you have some options to still use your tv without connecting it to the internet (using an external streaming box connected to an HDMI port). But, if it's a hardware problem, you probably have to google about the problem and see if there's anyone who's had it and fixed it by replacing a board.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would unplug the tv. Hold the power button for a minute (drains the capacitive electricity remaining in the tv, so I've read). Leave it unplugged overnight (just to be sure. Probably overkill. But, better safe than sorry.). Depress the pinhole reset button in the back of the tv, then plug in while holding that pinhole button. Continue to hold until the front light flashes (maybe 20 seconds?).

If that doesn't do it, I would try different variations. Maybe hold the pinhole while pressing the power button. I've seen people say they fixed a problem doing this slightly different than others say they fixed a problem.

The bottom line is: if a hardware reset doesn't fix it, then you might have to investigate replacing the motherboard (google about the topic, and what the likely board would be). I've read these tvs are pretty simple to fix that way. Just 5 boards that can be found on Amazon and eBay. You might be able to replace a board and fix it.

I doubt it's a Roku software update. You can rule that out by: if the hardware reset restores the screen to normal orientation, then tell the initial setup process that you don't have internet. It will install whatever version of software it came with. If the screen continues to look right, then you could go to home>settings>network, and configure the network connection. The tv will eventually (automatically, within a day or two) check for an update. If the screen goes wacky again, then it's the software update. (You have some options then, if that's the case.).

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@eve2 

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after following the steps mentioned by @Visitor45763, please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
eve2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Screenshot_20210127-122111_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-122123_Gallery.jpg

I was able to get the pictures today. I turned the TV on at 12:15 it lasted until 12:20. Look at time stamps

0 Kudos
eve2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@eve2 

Thanks for the post.

-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version

Thanks,
Danny

Thank you will do so Friday if it doesn't correct itself after tonight

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I didn't understand the purpose/meaning of the photos. If you're saying the problem takes a couple minutes to occur after powering the tv on, that sounds like it's related to operating temperature. (I've seen other problems related that way. Sometimes it's the opposite though, and warming the tv with a hairdryers causes a problem to go away.).

The hardware reset I mentioned (with the pinhole) should fix any problem, or conclusively prove it's hardware. Especially if you tell it you don't have internet, and see if the version of software it installs never has the problem. Then setup your connection in home>settings>network, and see if the problem starts again (within a day or two, which is how long it will take for the automatic update to occur).

You can also look at home>settings>system>system update to see the date the software was last updated. If that date coincides with when this problem began, that would inform you that it's probably the update. 

If it turns out that it's a software update causing it, you have some options to still use your tv without connecting it to the internet (using an external streaming box connected to an HDMI port). But, if it's a hardware problem, you probably have to google about the problem and see if there's anyone who's had it and fixed it by replacing a board.

0 Kudos
eve2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I started the process about a week ago. left the tv off for a good week. finished the set up today and as of now the screen is staying stable. so hopefully it stays this way for a while

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@eve2 wrote: ... finished the set up today and as of now the screen is staying stable. hopefully it stays this way for a while

When you say "set up," it makes me think you did a factory restart. If so, and the problem went away but returns in a couple days, that would mean it's Roku's famously untested update causing your problem. That would be good news, because then you could do the restart again -- but tell it you don't have internet (no updates). Then you could watch antenna tv. If you watch streaming, you could add an inexpensive external streaming device to HDMI. I.e., you wouldn't have to buy a new tv. 

0 Kudos