Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbp
Level 8

recently viewed channels

Jump to solution

How long does for channels to show up in the recently viewed channel list? It's been days - nothing.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Visitor45763
Level 14

Re: recently viewed channels

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

How long does for channels to show up in the recently viewed channel list? It's been days - nothing.

My "recently viewed" is populated and changes, but it doesn't make any sense.

1. If I leave the guide set to "recently viewed," then changing channels (outside of the guide, normally changing channels while watching a channel) seems to follow the order of channels in the guide (12.1, 3.2, 15.1, 7.3, 33.8, 3.1 50.2). It jumps all over. 

2. If I leave the guide set to "all channels" and sequentially step through the channels (outside the guide again), and then go back into guide, set it to "recently viewed," the order of channels don't reflect what I just viewed. The order changes somewhat. But, it doesn't make sense to me what the order represents.

It's not merely a "history" of recently viewed (which I assumed it was). That would at least make sense. It would be useless (since you have to always sequentially step through  channels). I was thinking maybe there's some arbitrary length of time you have to sit on a channel until it's considered "viewed." But, I'm not seeing that with my test. 

Maybe it's cumulative somehow, like if you repeatedly go up/down from 5.1, 5.2, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.1 those "visits" would add up, and they'd appear higher up the "recently viewed" list. Maybe not in that order. Just "weighted" higher based on hitting one more often than another.

Even so, that seems useless. If people have favorites, just let them specify that KNOWN attribute. Trying to deduce it from viewing behavior is probably what dramatically slowed down sequential channel changing. Roku's probably doing all that processing right then (to order your new "recently viewed list" based upon historical averaging.). 

If yours doesn't seem to be working at all, you could try settings>system>power>restart. That might refresh modules in memory (especially if fast-start is enabled in that menu). If that doesn't do it, remove the live-tv tile, do the menu restart (again), then add the live-tv service back.

But, honestly, I don't think you're missing anything. "Recently viewed" as a concept doesn't make sense no matter how it's implemented. It's like Roku is trying to solve a fundamental navigational problem (which customers have complained about for YEARS) in the hardest way possible. Everyone else would reach for 1) a numeric keypad, 2) variable-speed continuous channel up/down changing (i.e., hold the button longer, and it goes faster), and 3) direct "favorites" access. Roku rejects all of that. Slowing down your channel changing with processing to make a randomly-ordered list of recently viewed channels. At the same time, adds 1000 channels without the ability to hide any of them, without hiding all of them.

It's really stunning, the freight train of bad ideas.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

... Kinda don't want to spend the money unless I'm sure that it would work.

Let me check out the converters again. Probably will need some sort of guide, tho. 

The inexpensive digital tv convertors (to HDMI output) will definitely work. Look for the youtube video "Mediasonic Homeworx DTV Box with DVR Review - Record OTA Antenna TV." (Also "Viewtv AT-263 Unboxing, Setup, Review (Digital Converter Box with Recoding) OTA"). If you google, you'll find more reviews of those two. There's also different models (Homeworx 130, 150, 180, 220. An AT-300). I don't understand those differences yet. 

[EDIT: After doing some searching, among the Homeworx models, the 150PVR (or 130STB) is supposed to be the one to get. The 150 has composite outputs which might be useful. A metal case which might aide cooling. The other models are supposed to be stripped down versions. (The 220 is a 180 with karaoke. The 180 doesn't seem to be sold anymore.). The 130 is a smaller budget version of the 150. It doesn't have the composite outputs. It has an external power supply & plastic case.(The 150 has internal power supply and metal case). The 130 is functionally the same as the 150. Composite outputs aren't needed for what we're talking about. The remotes are different. The 150's remote looks larger, with more open space between keys. Might be easier to use.

I haven't looked at the ViewTv models to see how they differ. There's also an iView 3500 which gets good reviews. From what I've seen, the Homeworx 150 has the best reviews, "best of" ranks (the 130 is the "value" or "budget" version.). The ViewTv is runner-up, or perhaps tied with iView.]

There are other, more expensive DVRs like Silicon Dust(?) that will use a network guide. I think some of those require a paid subscription. I haven't looked at these things much yet. For me, a guide isn't important. An external box may not be as realistic as a solution if you need a good onscreen guide (more than the broadcast info/schedule). 

If an external settop tuner wouldn't meet my needs, I'd probably be selling my Roku TVs on craigslist and buying something that treats antenna tv with more respect.

(This whole topic is absurd, really. There's no reason Roku couldn't make antenna-tv a comfortable/pleasant service to use. It's not rocket science. It's mostly a heuristic which has existed for decades. There will be an ATSC 3.0 in a few years with more flexibility and engagement with the viewer. Why go brain-dead with existing broadcast tv when the future calls for thinking about how to interoperate with the viewer's use of broadcast tv? The challenge is going to be worse soon. If they make broadcast tv this inoperable now, with ATSC 1.0, they might as well just stop doing the marriage with tv. Leave it to someone else. Just do the external streaming devices.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

My "recently viewed" is populated and changes, but it doesn't make any sense.

1. If I leave the guide set to "recently viewed," then changing channels (outside of the guide, normally changing channels while watching a channel) seems to follow the order of channels in the guide (12.1, 3.2, 15.1, 7.3, 33.8, 3.1 50.2). It jumps all over. 

2. If I leave the guide set to "all channels" and sequentially step through the channels (outside the guide again), and then go back into guide, set it to "recently viewed," the order of channels don't reflect what I just viewed. The order changes somewhat. But, it doesn't make sense to me what the order represents.

It's not merely a "history" of recently viewed (which I assumed it was). That would at least make sense. It would be useless (since you have to always sequentially step through  channels). I was thinking maybe there's some arbitrary length of time you have to sit on a channel until it's considered "viewed." But, I'm not seeing that with my test. 

Maybe it's cumulative somehow, like if you repeatedly go up/down from 5.1, 5.2, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.1 those "visits" would add up, and they'd appear higher up the "recently viewed" list. Maybe not in that order. Just "weighted" higher based on hitting one more often than another.

Even so, that seems useless. If people have favorites, just let them specify that KNOWN attribute. Trying to deduce it from viewing behavior is probably what dramatically slowed down sequential channel changing. Roku's probably doing all that processing right then (to order your new "recently viewed list" based upon historical averaging.). 

If yours doesn't seem to be working at all, you could try settings>system>power>restart. That might refresh modules in memory (especially if fast-start is enabled in that menu). If that doesn't do it, remove the live-tv tile, do the menu restart (again), then add the live-tv service back.

But, honestly, I don't think you're missing anything. "Recently viewed" as a concept doesn't make sense no matter how it's implemented. It's like Roku is trying to solve a fundamental navigational problem (which customers have complained about for YEARS) in the hardest way possible. Everyone else would reach for 1) a numeric keypad, 2) variable-speed continuous channel up/down changing (i.e., hold the button longer, and it goes faster), and 3) direct "favorites" access. Roku rejects all of that. Slowing down your channel changing with processing to make a randomly-ordered list of recently viewed channels. At the same time, adds 1000 channels without the ability to hide any of them, without hiding all of them.

It's really stunning, the freight train of bad ideas.

0 Kudos
sbp
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank-you 45763 for your comment

Roku's logic escapes me. Testing a variety of procedures seems to be the only way to kick start the function.

I have been forced to scroll through channel in the guide mode, for the sake of expediency.

Perhaps, as you offered, i will try  in non guide mode and hope for the best. I wish that I could disregard the latest update and flash drive an older version and then disconnect from the internet. But then there goes any streaming capability.

Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

I wish that I could disregard the latest update and flash drive an older version and then disconnect from the internet. But then there goes any streaming capability.

I'm probably going to spend $30 USD on a "digital tv tuner with HDMI output." Not sure what the official term is. But, googling that will show a few. Antenna Man has a video on YouTube demonstrating a MediaSonic Homeworks 130 (there's also a 150, 180, 220. Not sure how they differ yet. Also other brands, and reviews on youtube). They have a recording capability. "DVR recorder for tv" brings up more choices of the same thing.

I like the idea of separating the digital tv tuning from the tv. (If I had to do this over again, I would separate Roku from the tv. I would buy a non-Roku tv, and buy a external Roku express/premier/ultra device. Or, a different brand if something's as good or better. But, already having two TCL/Roku tvs, I think the $30 external tuners will be a reasonable antidote.).

Some of those tuners should be pleasant to use. I had Zenith & DigitalStream brand DTV convertors back when we received vouchers during the cutover of broadcast tv to digital (when many people still had fatback tube tvs). Those were an absolute pleasure to use. They felt intuitive. A numeric remote. Variable-speed continuous channel-change (longer you hold the button, the faster it goes. Like fast-forward/reverse functionality. It would step up the pace in a non-jarring way.). I could press any number to jump easily to that range of channels. There didn't have to be a real signal there. I didn't have to type a full "-1" (enter). It would just go there (if I didn't press another key for 2 seconds). You got the impression these things were made by someone who actually used what they made.

These modern $30 boxes are the same thing, but have an HDMI output. I'm hoping I can find one that has a decent user interface (ease-of-use features like I described. Not too tedious/difficult. But, at this point, it would have to try exceptionally hard to be worse than what I have.).

The other nice thing about those old DTV converters: Their remotes had a red power button dedicated to powering the tv (at least one of them had a volume buttons for the tv too, as well as the box). Some of these new boxes don't. But, I think we need more than that anyway. Powering on my Roku TV lands me on the tile I was using. I have to click the tile. So, I think a universal remote would be necessary. Or, get used to using two remotes. Which still isn't worse than how it is now.

EDIT: Another potential downgrade using one of those inexpensive boxes: the on-screen guide will be the broadcast channel info. Not as informative/easy to use as Roku's guide which must come from the internet. You'd have to use free service like zap2it or titantv (there's others. I've forgotten their names.). I do that already. Probably a habit from using a DTV so long. So, not a problem for me. I never use Roku's on-screen guide. Its easier for me to look at my phone or laptop without messing with the tv. But, for others, they might feel it's an unwanted difference.

sbp
Level 8

Jump to solution

I bandied the idea of a converter a year or two ago and tried some old analog boxes (cable output) that I had - just to see but they weren't HDMI capable. I don't remember the result, but apparently didn't work since they aren't hooked up. Kinda don't want to spend the money unless I'm sure that it would work.

I have two old external Roku devices for other non Roku TCL tvs, but I guess I'd be in the same boat trying to use them on a Roku tv.

Let me check out the converters again. Probably will need some sort of guide, tho. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

... Kinda don't want to spend the money unless I'm sure that it would work.

The inexpensive digital tv convertors (to HDMI output) will definitely work. Look for the youtube video "Mediasonic Homeworx DTV Box with DVR Review - Record OTA Antenna TV." (Also "Viewtv AT-263 Unboxing, Setup, Review (Digital Converter Box with Recoding) OTA"). If you google, you'll find more reviews of those two. There's also different models (Homeworx 130, 150, 180, 220. An AT-300). I don't understand those differences yet. 

[EDIT: After doing some searching, among the Homeworx models, the 150PVR (or 130STB) is supposed to be the one to get. The 150 has composite outputs which might be useful. A metal case which might aide cooling. The other models are supposed to be stripped down versions. (The 220 is a 180 with karaoke. The 180 doesn't seem to be sold anymore.). The 130 is a smaller budget version of the 150. It doesn't have the composite outputs. It has an external power supply & plastic case.(The 150 has internal power supply and metal case). The 130 is functionally the same as the 150. Composite outputs aren't needed for what we're talking about. The remotes are different. The 150's remote looks larger, with more open space between keys. Might be easier to use.

I haven't looked at the ViewTv models to see how they differ. There's also an iView 3500 which gets good reviews. From what I've seen, the Homeworx 150 has the best reviews, "best of" ranks (the 130 is the "value" or "budget" version.). The ViewTv is runner-up, or perhaps tied with iView.]

There are other, more expensive DVRs like Silicon Dust(?) that will use a network guide. I think some of those require a paid subscription. I haven't looked at these things much yet. For me, a guide isn't important. An external box may not be as realistic as a solution if you need a good onscreen guide (more than the broadcast info/schedule). 

If an external settop tuner wouldn't meet my needs, I'd probably be selling my Roku TVs on craigslist and buying something that treats antenna tv with more respect.

(This whole topic is absurd, really. There's no reason Roku couldn't make antenna-tv a comfortable/pleasant service to use. It's not rocket science. It's mostly a heuristic which has existed for decades. There will be an ATSC 3.0 in a few years with more flexibility and engagement with the viewer. Why go brain-dead with existing broadcast tv when the future calls for thinking about how to interoperate with the viewer's use of broadcast tv? The challenge is going to be worse soon. If they make broadcast tv this inoperable now, with ATSC 1.0, they might as well just stop doing the marriage with tv. Leave it to someone else. Just do the external streaming devices.).

0 Kudos
sbp
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hear.

I ordered a box so that I could function again.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@sbp wrote:

Hear.

I ordered a box so that I could function again.

I will too, soon. I updated my post to mention that it appears the Homeworx, ViewTV & iView are the top brands in the "best of" pages. Also, the Homeworx models are confusing. But, the 150PVR is the most recommended. The 130PVR is a smaller version without all the outputs on the back (just HDMI & RCA, plus the analog out for old tvs). The 150 has additional composite out, plus a coax out (not the analog coax out. Something else). Most people here only need the HDMI output. 

The review video for Homeworx said its tuner got a slightly stronger signal than the tv's tuner (he was using). I'm curious to see how TCL/Roku compares. 

Most of the reviews are about the recording features. I'm more interested in how it feels just interacting with the tv (changing channels; adding channels; favorites, etc.). I might buy 2-3 and compare. They're not expensive. I could sell what I don't keep.

0 Kudos