Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hooya
Level 8

horizontal line glitch when screen stretched to 16:9

I just got an adapter to hook up my Wii to my TCL Roku 55s517 TV with an HDMI cable. It's providing a couple of issues I'm trying to see if I can't get worked out.

1. The picture size does not get recognized at 16:9 ratio when I select this in the Wii. Setting the Roku to anything other than "stretched" shows that the TV sees the picture coming in as 4:3. I don't think this is a real issue, because I think I remember on my older TV having to specify that 16:9 is needed for the input. However, the picture looks just fine when I do this. I would hope that "Direct" would actually know the screen should be 16:9 but that might actually be a limitation of the Wii, and not an issue of the Roku

2. So with 1 in mind, I set the screen to "Stretch" mode so that the image fills the screen. It does this, and the aspect ratio is fine, but I get these horizontal glitchy lines towards the top of the screen. When there is no movement on the screen they are not noticeable, but when the image moves in that region of the screen it's really obvious. Here is a video of the artifacts: https://youtu.be/gzyx-qRVZgc

This goes away temporarily if I go into the options for the input, change the video settings to something else, then to stretched again. But the next time I turn on the TV and select this input the lines are there again. They are always in the same place.

I have "Game" mode set to on, but none of the other settings I've messed with seem to fix this.

Probably needs a software update I think, since this doesn't seem to be something I can fix, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to test to see if this happens with other inputs or channels when "Stretch" is selected.

14 Replies
leegato
Level 9

Re: horizontal line glitch when screen stretched to 16:9

Hello,

While I don't share the same situation, I believe I am experiencing a similar issue where I have horizontal lines appearing on the screen.  Usually, these horizontal lines act like pixels "stuck" in a certain picture., and it only seems to occur when I am operating Roku apps such as Netflix and YouTube.  Did you find a resolution on this issue yet?

hooya
Level 8

The only thing I have figured out is after I have the Wii on and running, to open the TV menu with * on the remote, select the screen size and change it to something else, then back to stretch, then the glitch goes away, until the next time I start up the Wii or the TV.

Wanhope
Level 7

I am also having the same issue, and solely when using Netflix app, I had a Switch plugged in, but removing that made no difference nor changing screen

hooya
Level 8

I'm curious what your screen size is set to. For Netflix it fills the screen properly when I set it to the default setting which I think is called "natural" or "native" or something like that.

0 Kudos
leegato
Level 9

The bars disappear for me when I exit whatever I'm watching on Netflix, so I don't think it's a screen issue necessarily.  I never see the issue occur on my PS4 either.

0 Kudos
Elite49
Level 9

Yup having the same exact issue and have been having it for some time. 

Like others have said, it only occurs using a Roku Streaming App and never during anything else.

The only way I've found to fix it is to turn the TV off and back on... every single time I watch something on Netflix.

Can we get some support on this? I have a TCL 4 Series.

0 Kudos
leegato
Level 9

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue; I have a 5 series.  I did submit a support request to TCL about this issue.  They had me do a power cycle, a reset to the picture settings, and a whole factory reset.  The factory reset at first seemed to work, as the issue didn't occur again for a whole week.  But, after one week, the issue occurred again.  I've submitted another request to TCL's email support (their phone support only operates weekdays, and are limited due to current circumstances, so I'll try calling them this week to see what happens). 

I've also submitted a new discussion on this community page: https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Horizontal-Lines-Bars-of-Pixels-Stuck-On-Streaming-Apps/m-...

And earlier found a Reddit thread describing the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/fk38xw/line_of_stuck_pixels_on_streaming_channels/

0 Kudos
hooya
Level 8

The other commenters here are having a slightly different problem. Mine occurs only when using the stretched video scaling, and has never occurred on any streaming apps. But if the line looks like what it does in my video it could be a related issue.

Other posters, what screen size scaling options do you have when watching Netflix or Youtube when you get the issue?

0 Kudos
leegato
Level 9

I've submitted/requested for additional support on this, I'll try to keep you updated.

0 Kudos