Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvineq
Reel Rookie

built in Roku requires manual restart when switching between streaming apps

I have a TCL tv with built in Roku. The issue I've been having recently (about 3 months) is when I switch from 1 streaming app to another, I have to restart Roku often. For example, I'm watching Hulu, exit out, open Netflix and everything seems fine at first. Previews autoplay etc. However when I actually click on something to play, it will play (ads or previews/etc if there are any) but when the show actually starts, the screen is jumbled. I can manually fast forward, meaning the bar will move, however nothing changes and it never starts to actually play.

I used Hulu to Netflix but it's any app, youtubeTV, HBO max, Amazon Prime, etc. The only fix is to go to the main menu and restart roku.

My TV is hardwired to the router and my internet speed is more than ample (300 Mbps). I'm to the point where I'm going to buy another streaming box however I don't want to need 2 remotes. My other TV's with Amazon Fire or Tivo 4K stream does not suffer this issue and those stream via wifi. 

Is there a fix or do I need to bypass Roku and never buy a TV with built in Roku in the future?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: built in Roku requires manual restart when switching between streaming apps

@gvineq

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gvineq
Reel Rookie

Hello,

Thank you for the response. The information is below:

Roku device model: A115X

Serial number: X003006MT8PP

Device ID: S05GY07MT8PP

Software OS/version: 11.0.0 BUILD 4193-88

Connection: Wired directly to router

Does this issue occur on a specific channel? No, this happens when going from 1 stream app to another. For example, watching YouTubeTV (V 2.22/Build 105005568); exit out of the app via the on screen prompt (aka, I'm not just hitting the home key to get back to the app). Opening another streaming app such as: Netflix (V 5.1/Build 105088011), Hulu (V6.63/Build 0), Prime (V 14.0/Build 2022072121), HBO MAX.

Previews will autoplay but when something is selected, it won't play. For NetFlix, it gives a jumbled/yellow screen which appears to work as I can fast forward the bar but nothing will actually happen (no sound/pic other than the yellow scramble screen). Hulu and others will say program cannot be played at this moment or something to that effect. Prime is similar to Netflix, nothing will play. 

To me, it's like the Roku isn't closing the previous streaming connection when I close out of the app (again, actually going to the screen that confirms I wish to exit the app and not just selecting the HOME key). 

Once I go into the setting and system restart, everything plays fine when reopening an app and it doesn't happen if I switch shows within the same app (going from 1 movie to another, changing channels in YouTubeTV, etc), only when going from one app to another. 

This doesn't always happen but right now, I would say it's about 65-70% of the time I'll have to restart and I've had to restart multiple times within 1 night. 

I have other wireless streaming devices on other TV's including Firestick, Tivo 4K Stream & XBox One. None have this issue going from app to app. Also, the Roku restart issue will happen even if it's the only TV on/streaming.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@gvineq

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried exiting the channel you are previously watching by pressing the Home button on the remote and seeing what happens? Are you experiencing the same behavior when you try exiting a channel in that manner?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gvineq
Reel Rookie

Same results. Had to reboot the system when going from youtubetv to netflix.

I'm going to buy another streaming device this weekend and just bypass Roku altogether. 

Sucks having to use a d9fferent remote than the TV remote but lesson learned towards future purchases, I guess

0 Kudos