Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nishbot
Level 8

YouTubeTV constantly buffering when set to 1080p on Roku TV

I have a 75" TCL Roku TV. I also have the YoutubeTV app.

Whenever I set the resolution to 1080p on the stream in YTTV, the connection is constantly buffering. But if I set it to 720p, no buffering issues and the buffering health is well above 60s.

I have a 1Gbps connection. Wirelessly, I get 150mpbs around the house on average. Roku connection test says the connection to the TV is 75mpbs. This problem is only on YTTV. All other streaming services are fine. And this only happens when set to 1080p.

I don't know if there's a solution. I'm just posting here to offer a clue to this situation. 

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8\
Youtubetver
Level 7

Re: YouTubeTV constantly buffering when set to 1080p on Roku TV

I have the EXACT same issue. Please let me know if you find a solution. 

0 Kudos
Erelb
Level 7

Is att your internet provider?   I find they throttle the **bleep** out of youtube services.

0 Kudos
Nishbot
Level 8

Hmm, interesting. Yes, ATT is my provider. I have ATT Fiber. Are there other reports of this?

0 Kudos
Erelb
Level 7

It's just observation on my part.  If I want to watch sports on the roku, i try never to watch it via YouTubeTV.  ESPN/FOX apps will have no buffering issues and the content will be sharp the whole duration of the event, while YouTubeTV will be fuzzy, random buffering, etc.

Would also see similar **bleep** performance on YouTube and YouTubeTV while watching it on my main PC or laptop.

I didn't have the same issues when I had Hulu TV or when I demoed Sling.

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

It’s not just AT&T. I have same issue on Spectrum.  There seems to be a newer build of YouTube TV but I can’t access it on TCL 6 series TV (2018) that is available on newer Roku TV models.  Has anyone tried side loading newer version?  Version 1.0 build 93000046

0 Kudos
tobm90
Level 7

Exact same issue here. Wired internet connection around 80Mbps. All other streaming apps work fine as well as PS4 online applications. YTTV, however, has been randomly buffering on my 65" TCL (S6) for the past months now. I have called Google customer service and send them feedback data a handful of times now but nothing they suggested solved the issue. This is really frustrating since I start believing this is a Roku TV issue. I am a Comcast Xfinity customer btw

Anyone had any success solving this issue? 

0 Kudos
dfinkel12
Level 8

I cut the cord a year ago and have had YTTV issues occasionally over that time. Lately, the buffering has been terrible. I have multiple Roku Ultras, Roku Express a Roku 3 and a TCL TV with Roku and they all suffer the same issue. My laptop runs YTTC just fine. I'm on Optimum 300Mbps and I check the connection speeds frequently and the are consistently around 300. 

I have updated my Rokus, I have removed YTTV and reinstalled. Currently trying to watch my Roku Express 3931RW Software 9.4.0 Build 4200 and getting frequent buffering.

It was aggravating to wait for HBOMax, but I stuck with Roku. This is getting very frustrating and there needs to be resolution beyond Google blaming Roku and Roku blaming Google. 2 huge very profitable companies allowing users to suffer is unacceptable. Do I need to go out and purchase 6 Google Chromecasts? Is that the only solution?

0 Kudos
Nishbot
Level 8

I too have tried updating Roku OS, removing and reinstalling YTTV, all to no avail. The buffering is annoying, especially as I watch live sports. And only at 1080p. I surely don’t want to be paying $64.99 for 720p streams.

All other streaming services work flawlessly at 1080p/4K, including Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO, Roku 4K app, etc. So I know this is not a connection issue. Either YT isn’t pushing bandwidth on their 1080p streams, or ISPs have banded together to buffer YTTV 1080p streams, or Roku OS gets funky on YTTV 1080p streams. 

Either way, as mentioned above, these multi billion dollar companies need to start working together, take our complaints seriously, and come up with a solution rather than play “pass the blame” and leave their customers suffering.

0 Kudos