Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

Xbox Series X - HDR Dolby Vision not working on TCL 75R617

I cannot for the life of me get HDR to work with my Xbox Series X. It worked fine with my Xbox One X, even when connected through my Yamaha receiver.

Thinking my receiver was the culprit, I connected the Xbox SX directly to HDMI 1 on my R617 with the high-speed HDMI cable that came with the Xbox, restarted the Xbox, rebooted the TV, and it’s still not working. The Xbox bluntly states that “your TV does not support HDR...”

Is this a problem with the Roku software and I have to wait for an update? Does the new Xbox just not support my TV? Am I missing some errant setting somewhere? Please help! 

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Pintweaks
Binge Watcher

Re: Xbox Series X - HDR Dolby Vision not working on TCL 75R617

UPDATE: I feel stupid, but maybe this will help others - I just had to go to Settings > TV Inputs > HDMI 1 and manually change it to “HDMI 2.0.” Leaving it on “Auto” will not tell the Xbox to turn HDR on. 

0 Kudos
BW3

I have this same problem. When Dolby Vision is turned on for Series X, the picture is all washed out but my TV isn't in DV or HDR. I have to turn DV off to get HDR to kick on. I double checked my HDR mode after reading your post & it was 2.0. I switched it to "Auto" & still nothing. I've yet to see a game in Dolby Vision. I've seen a couple videos from other people running it but those were all LG TV's. I'm wondering is this an issue with the signal to my model TV/Xbox update, or is something wrong with my new TV. I've reported it to Microsoft for a few weeks now.

0 Kudos

DV will only work for games if you turn off ALLM. TCL/Roku will likely need to push out a firmware update to get DV to work alongside game mode/ALLM, but this is a known problem on Xbox/Microsoft’s end.

qutips
Reel Rookie

@BW3 

I had the exact same problem with my r635, but I did find how to fix it on that model. All you have to do is disable "auto low latency mode" on the xbox. Then enable dolby vision on the console. You should then be able to boot up a game in Dolby, but there is then a significant amount of latency from controller inputs. You can fix this by turning on gaming mode manually on the tv and just leave it on. 

I think the problem is that when auto low latency mode is turned on, the xbox tells the tv to go into game mode before Dolby vision and then that somehow causes the xbox to send the dolby vision format, but the tv is only in non dolby vision gaming mode. Then this causes the colors to wash out.

I will also note that there is still a little bit of latency with dolby vision and gaming mode on. So when I play competitive games I just turn dolby vision off.

Deeder805
Reel Rookie

You are a lifesaver dude! This fix literally saved me from ripping my tv off the wall and buying a new one! This workaround worked my TCL 8 series!

0 Kudos
MarcusSi

Same fix worked for me. I will say, the TV is showing Dolby Vision for gaming in any HDR game, which makes no sense because only a small handful of games support Dolby Vision or gaming as opposed to Normal HDR10 for gaming. 

0 Kudos
Deeder805
Reel Rookie

I turned off the DV box in the Xbox menu so that everything defaults to HDR. If both HDR and DV boxes are checked it will default to DV for some reason. Nothing wrong with DV but I do find a little bit of lag even with game mode turn on for DV, no lag for HDR. 

0 Kudos
calcal23

You can also disable the ALLM mode in the TCL TV itself, from the Settings > TV Input Menu > (Select the HDMI Port your Xbox is hooked up to) > Standard > ALLM toggle box...

Doing this will also disable ALLM on your Xbox Series X automatically.  Keep VRR turned on though...

0 Kudos
MarkC1914

Thank you so much. I've been dying to figure out the answer. 

I have the r635 and this did the trick.

0 Kudos