Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkoffhomerun
Streaming Star

Wrong Screensaver showing on Roku TV

Jump to solution

Roku tv TCL 65R625 with software version 9.1.2 build 6463-88

Screensaver selected as aquatic life (green check mark) but displays the matrix style s black screen with roku icons dropping down the screen. No idea why one is selected but another showing.

Happened while Disney+ was on pause

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Wrong Screensaver showing

Jump to solution

@walkoffhomerun 

Screensaver behavior while you're inside channels may vary from the default Roku behavior while on the Home screen. This would be expected, depending on the channel. Some channels use their own screensaver, while others may use the screensaver with Roku logos raining down. I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to share your feedback and inquire further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@walkoffhomerun 

Screensaver behavior while you're inside channels may vary from the default Roku behavior while on the Home screen. This would be expected, depending on the channel. Some channels use their own screensaver, while others may use the screensaver with Roku logos raining down. I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to share your feedback and inquire further. 

Thanks,

Tanner

ProCouchSpud
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having same issue as you. Aquatic life selected, will only appear if wait time exceeded during navigation of Roku screens/pages, i.e. system or home.

If i pause a program, purple rokus is all I get.

RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

When video is playing, the system selects the "Roku rain" screensaver as a fallback because it uses a lot less resources than the Aquatic Life screensaver (or other graphically intense ones).  This lets the channel continue to run while the screensaver is active, something that might not be possible otherwise depending on the system resources.

MikeP99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having same problem with new Ultra. Since ALL screensaver use occurs during paused video (unless you are just viewing Home Screen), what good is ANY other screensaver choice?  I bought one and can’t use it!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MikeP99

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you not seeing your screensaver when your device is paused on a specific channel or does it happen on all channels when paused? When on the Home screen, does your screensaver appear?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
MikeP99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It happen on all channels when paused, no exceptions.  In no case does no screensaver activate, and it is always "raining Rokus".  On homescreen, my chosen screensaver appears.  I contacted YouTube TV as it is my most viewed app, and they claim no control over screensaver (and it certainly is not theirs that is showing up). Is there really any value in contacting other apps?  This seems like a Roku dodge.  Also I bought a screensaver that I can't use; how do I get refund?  Thanks for trying!

Mike P

RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

The raining Roku screensaver is always used when video is paused and the channel doesn't supply its own screen saver. This is a system level function - it's the low resource screensaver that can be safely run without disturbing the main channel.  When the video decoder is not in use, the user-chosen screensaver can be activated.  There is no way to change system behavior here.

amcalexa

Jump to solution

I've read through this thread, and understand your answer, Roku Employee, but up until a couple weeks ago I did see my chosen screen saver and not the raining Rokus. This is a recent development.

I'm using a Roku Ultra, and have been using this same device for almost a year.

What has changed to make this happen now, but not previously?

TBH, I don't like the raining Rokus at all. It feels like you're advertising something to me that I already bought, and it's annoying.

Thanks.

Jump to solution

100% incorrect.  Aquatic used to work (yesterday) for years while YouTube was on. Now the only time it works is on the Home Screen. It just started screwing up today after the Roku update. I don't want the dumb Roku Rain screensaver. I want my aquarium back. I tried disabling and re-enabling and it's still broken.