Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Windows 10 and 11 Laptops

Has anyone tried connecting a Windows 10 or 11 laptop to a Roku TV via an HDMI cable? I just want to make sure that one of these models will work.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Windows 10 and 11 Laptops

Is it possible to connect via wi-fi?

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

^ To clarify, I know how to connect the devices. I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these computers can confirm that they work on a Roku TV. My current laptop doesn't.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JCGoodwin 

I don't have any Win10 laptops to test currently, but I do know that I have hooked Win10 laptops to both my regular TV and my Insignia RokuTV without issue.  Just about every laptop I get has Win10 installed on it until I wipe them and install different Linux OS/distros on them so I am always having to re-learn/re-fresh knowledge of Windows.

On my Roku TV, of course, you need to select the new HDMI input. (I have one named "laptop stream").  On the Win10 laptop, you need to select the Windows button (aka "super key"), then you can select either the Display Adapter or the Mobility Center if equipped.  Then select "Connect Display".  Then you can select "Extend" from the popup on the right hand side window of options. (Extend is the easiest, the other options offer different methods of displays - ie. showing only on TV, showing on both laptop and TV, etc).

Basically, you are just extending the display via HDMI.

On some laptops, I remember having to go into Settings and select the appropriate Display monitor.  To see if Windows is detecting the second monitor, press the Windows key again, then go to Settings. (or type in Settings in the box and then select the Settings gear icon).  Then select the Display.  If the second monitor (your RokuTV) is not being detected, then try going into the Device Manager, selecting Display Adapters, and try updating the adapter. (You may actually have to go online and see if the Display adapter manufacturer has a new version available). 

You may even have to restart your laptop after connecting the laptop to the RokuTV in order for the Windows OS to detect the second monitor (RokuTV)

-------

In short, I can confirm that I have used Win10 laptops via HDMI with a RokuTV, but not recently, so going by memory for the above info.  I do know some connected easier than others, but the more troublesome ones had their own little quirks before they would appear working.  Acer, Dell, and HP all connected easily.

Maybe post back some specifics of your laptop and any screenshots to see where you are getting stuck or why yours is not working for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar

Thanks for your comments. My current laptop is an old Dell XP model, which actually doesn't have an HDMI input, just a USB. So I had to use a USB-to-HDMI cable to connect it to the TV. The only message I got after connecting was "No signal (Is it on?)," or something like that. This led me to believe that the computer simply wasn't compatible, hence my interest in a different model.

I'll try a Windows 10. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JCGoodwin 

On an older Dell Vostro that I still have Win7 installed on in a dual boot mode, I can use an Insignia VGA to HDMI adapter (with an included/attached USB audio cable) and works with the RokuTV. (Just tested to make sure still working).  As soon as I plugged into the HDMI port, it was recognized and began displaying properly.

Makes me wonder if the USB to HDMI adapter you are currently using may be part of the issue.  I don't have any to test with nearby as I either use the VGA, the DisplayPort, or the HDMI ports of the laptops I have for the video signal with the appropriate HDMI adapter/converter.  

I will try and dig around tomorrow and see if I have any USB to HDMI adapters.  You may just have to go into the Control Panel, select Displays, and see if XP is recognizing the RokuTV.  Because you are using HDMI, both the devices will need to see and communicate with each other before any display function will occur.

On the Win7, I use "Duplicate these Displays", rather than "Extend these Displays" because I am basically mirroring my laptop screen rather than using as a second monitor.  These settings are under the Display in the Control Panel (or again, typing in Display in the Windows search/run box).

Simple question, but have you made sure you are selecting/using the correct HDMI input on your RokuTV after plugging in the HDMI cable from the laptop?    

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar 

Definitely used the right HDMI port. I actually tried connecting a Chromebook, which had HDMI inputs, and it mirrored just fine. The problem was that the Chromebook wasn't compatible with Windows software, so I gave it back.

Don't go out of your way experimenting. I might just try a different USB-HDMI cable, like you suggested, before I buy the new computer. Thanks.

faisal0
Reel Rookie

Why connect a laptop to a TV?

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

@faisal0: To play some old-school video games on a bigger screen. Only play them occasionally these days.

0 Kudos