Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeeTree
Level 7

Will a Streambar work with an old TV that does not support CEC?

Jump to solution

I have an older TV that does not support CEC, and doesn't have an ARC port.  It does have an optical audio out port.  

If I got a Roku Streambar, would I be able to control the volume of the streambar with the remote? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will a Streambar work with an old TV that does not support CEC?

Jump to solution

@BeeTree wrote:

Thanks!  So the Roku remote would still be able to control the volume of the streambar?  

As long as you're referring to the Roku Streambar, yes it comes with a typical Roku remote for control. Since it's a sound bar, volume control is something it would have to have, same as a TV remote. The Roku Streambar is simply a Roku player embedded within a soundbar, and the one remote provides control of all of its functions. It will be able to power the TV on/off (the remote has the ability to be programmed for IR control of the TV power), but can't control anything else about the TV itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you mean can you control the soundbar volume with the TV remote, the answer is no. That would require HDMI CEC. The Roku remote would be the only way to control the volume. 

Dan

0 Kudos
BeeTree
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks!  So the Roku remote would still be able to control the volume of the streambar?  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@BeeTree wrote:

As long as you're referring to the Roku Streambar, yes it comes with a typical Roku remote for control. Since it's a sound bar, volume control is something it would have to have, same as a TV remote. The Roku Streambar is simply a Roku player embedded within a soundbar, and the one remote provides control of all of its functions. It will be able to power the TV on/off (the remote has the ability to be programmed for IR control of the TV power), but can't control anything else about the TV itself. 

Dan

View solution in original post