Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burbinsky
Reel Rookie

WiFi Password stored on device

I had a faulty TCL 32" TV that needed to be replaced.  I sent it in without performing a factory reset and am wondering if my WiFi passwords are stored on the device and now could be compromised.  Do I need to change my Router password now????

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: WiFi Password stored on device

@burbinsky wrote:

am wondering if my WiFi passwords are stored on the device and now could be compromised.  Do I need to change my Router password now????

I'm sure they're stored on the device. But, I can't see any risk. Whomever who receives your tv would have to distribute your location and wifi details to someone near you. The chances of that happening are slim. It wouldn't be that valuable to anyone. 

You should be connecting your Roku TV to a guest network, one that can't access other devices on the local network. Your router should have options to set that up (it's own wifi name, and password.). But, the big thing is to not be able to access other devices on the network. I think this is important for anything attached. But, it's been reported that Roku is pretty bad with security vulnerabilities. Google about it. I don't think it's as serious as an unprotected device connected to the internet. You'd just be exposed to a hacker in your vicinity (not the entire world). Not allowing connected devices to access each other would limit one devices vulnerability to that device.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
burbinsky
Reel Rookie

Re: WiFi Password stored on device

Thanks for the advice.  I agree using the guest mode would be the best choice, however not sure how to logon to the guest when it requires a browser.  Tv doesn't offer that option

0 Kudos