Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nncadillac

Re: TV Keeps Losing Sound

Jump to solution

Me too!! Only had it it 2 weeks!!

0 Kudos
JoelWied1

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and have to do a system restart.  It is super enjoying and shouldn’t have this issue.  Is there a update that can resolve this?

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is "fast start" enabled in your home>settings>system>power menu? (If so, try disabling that. I've seen other people say they have recurring problems that were resolved after disabling that. It's like the persistent memory of "fast start" gets corrupted, and you have to do a system>power restart to flush it out, start over (until the corruption happens again, because power offs don't really power off.).

I just wanted to mention it. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Jmurr

Jump to solution

My Roku is having the same issue after two episodes of the show we have to do a system reset every single time

Snotnose
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know how I ended up in the TV forum, I have a 2.5 y/o Roku stick plugged into my 2.5 y/o Samsung TV HDMI port.   Both bought Black Friday weekend last november.

Don't remember numbers and am listening to music now (Dream Theater The Astonishing for the win), but I got upgraded a month or so ago.

Whatever, went for a walk, was watching a TV show via Amazon Prime and paused it (and turned the TV off).  Got home about 40 minutes later, turned on the TV, unpaused, no sound.  Had to reboot my Roku stick to get sound back.

I've been on your side of bug reports, just giving another datapoint.

RobC22

Jump to solution

We have a two year old 60" Roku smart TV. Starting a few months back we started having trouble watching cable TV through our Roku remote speakers. We switched to the TV's internal speakers which worked for a while. Now the TV keeps going to mute. When streaming this happens sporadically but now on cable it switches to mute like once a minute. We switched out our cable box to no effect. At this point we effectively cannot watch cable TV without holding the remote and constantly having to click off the mute button.

0 Kudos
RobC22

Jump to solution

Try clicking the mute button on the Roku stick. On our TV over the last couple of weeks the mute button being on has become the rule not the exception. Is worse on Cable than streaming and we cannot use our Roku satellite speakers with Cable at all? 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RobC22 wrote: Now the TV keeps going to mute. When streaming this happens sporadically but now on cable it switches to mute like once a minute. 

1. I would try removing the batteries from the remote. Make sure it's not your remote sending the mute signal. I've read that Roku remotes can do strange things like that when the batteries are almost dead. Just remove them to see if it still happens.

2. I would try home>settings>system>power>restart. That seems to fix some problems. 

3. There is something else called "clear the cache" which may not actually do what it says it does, but people have been reporting this fixes some problems:

Clear the cache (fixes random reboots)
Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 1-2 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

Wouldn't hurt to try that.

4. Also, home>settings>system>advanced>factory-reset might be interesting to do in your case. You can tell it you don't have internet (you'll set it up later). This loads a smaller, seemingly older UI, The antenna/cable tv interface is very different (like it used to be before 9.4). 

I don't have cable, but I believe you could watch cable that way (without connecting the tv to internet during the setup. Just a "dumb" tv). See if the remote problem continues. If not, you can go into home>settings>network to create your network. At some point the tv will update to the latest software (if not immediately). If the problem returns, then you'd know it's the software (which causes a lot of problems. But, I'm skeptical it's causing yours.). 

If, even after a factory reset without internet connection still causes the same problem, I think you could safely assume it's the hardware.

There is an IR sensor in the tv. You can replace those. There's videos online. Or, disconnect it and see if it stops (use the menu/channel-changing buttons on the bottom or back of the tv to watch a show, and see if the mute problem continues). If so, you could replace the sensor or use a Roku enhanced voice remote which doesn't use IR (it uses bluetooth or wifi). You'd have to make sure your tv is compatible with that remote. I'm not sure all Roku TVs are. 

If the tv is still under warranty, obviously that's the way to go.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Snotnose
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

A:  I posted as a Roku stick user, not a Roku TV user.  Don't know why Roku decided to mix my issue with the TV owners.

B:  My Roku remote doesn't have a mute button.

C: It doesn't happen as often anymore.  Last time it happened (yesterday or the day before) I'd paused a program to go for a walk.  40 minutes I woke everything up and hey!  no audio.  But to be honest I think that's the only time in 2-3 months now it's happened.

Jump to solution

This happens to mine as well and I’ve had it less than 2 weeks.