Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aquatane

Why are there no numbers on remote?

How do you sale a Roku TCL tv with over a 1000 channels and a remote with no numbers to navigate those 1000 channels?? For real..having to hold the up/down arrows to scroll is tedious. Come on Roku,, you've sold millions of TV's. There's 3 main things the remote should have to accommodate the customer.

1. Backlit buttons 2. Numbers 3. Internet browser (like fire stick) and an extra..voice activated..listen to your customer 

16 REPLIES 16
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why are there no numbers on remote?

Roku only supplies the UI for Roku tv's, they don't make them nor sell them. 

You can get an aftermarket universal remote that will give you access to number pad, like the Onn 6 cheap on ebay:

Onn 6 universal remote for sale | eBay

Roku tv code in it is TV 4398. And it has backlighting. 

You can get the 8 in 1 version sold under One-For-All on amazon:

Amazon.com: One For All Universal 8 Device SteriTouch Antimicrobial Television IR Remote Control, Mo...

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I agree the Roku remotes can be better. And you are definitely right about Roku needing to add support for an internet browser like the Fire TV/Stick/Cube has and Google TV has. I can't believe there is still no way to browse the web on Roku. Adding a browser is essential!

a1357
Reel Rookie

I don't think getting a universal remote would help, since the original ROKU remotes don't support the input of individual channel numbers. The ROKU devices wouldn't know how to process it. But if anyone tried, let us know for sure.

Tivoburkee

@a1357 

Yes, I have tried, and it works with my TCL ROKU tv. With Roku tv's the number commands only work on the antenna er Live tv input, and Roku Ch Live tv guide. Even though app like Pluto have their channels numbered, the universal remote number commands will not work with it. 

The universal remote that I listed will work with stand-alone Roku's like the Ultra, Express, and premiere for the Roku Ch live tv guide. For it to work it will take more than just entering a setup code, you will have to enter and map a 5-digit code for each numeral but only once. See this page:

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers? - Page 16 - Roku Community

And Walmart has the Onn 6 universal remote back in stock:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Edmund

ChippyTech
Streaming Star

The layout of a Roku remote may vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer, but some Roku remotes do not have traditional number buttons for dialing phone numbers or entering other numerical input. Instead, these remotes may have a dedicated "search" button or a virtual keyboard that can be accessed using the remote's arrow keys and "OK" button.

There are a few reasons why a Roku remote might not have traditional number buttons:

1. Many streaming services do not require users to enter phone numbers or other numerical information, so there may be little need for dedicated number buttons on the remote.

2. Including traditional number buttons on the remote would require additional space and potentially make the remote more complex and difficult to use.

3. Many modern TVs and other devices have on-screen virtual keyboards that can be used for entering numerical input, eliminating the need for dedicated number buttons on the remote.

If you need to enter numerical input on your Roku device, you may be able to do so using the virtual keyboard or by using a mobile device with the Roku app installed, which may have a traditional numerical keypad.

Some Roku remotes do have the "1" and "2" buttons, which can be used for a variety of purposes. For example, you can use these buttons to quickly access your favorite channels or to enter numerical input when prompted.

The specific functions of the "1" and "2" buttons may vary depending on the specific model of your Roku remote and the content or app you are using. For example, some channels or apps may use the "1" and "2" buttons as shortcut keys for specific actions or menus.

If you are not sure what the "1" and "2" buttons do on your Roku remote, you can try pressing and holding the buttons to see if any information or options are displayed on the screen. You can also check the user manual for your specific model of Roku device or contact Roku customer support for more information.

0 Kudos
a1357
Reel Rookie

I have a TCL Full HD LED Smart Roku TV and most of the time watch the local channels with an antenna on the live TV mode. It would be nice when I'm done watching 2 and want to watch 13 to instantaneously get there like my old TV remote did just by pressing one or two numbers, rather than making it harder on myself like creating favorites, deleting unnecessary channels between them I'd never watch or other tedious methods,

packetrat
Binge Watcher

Though this doesn't fully make up for lack of direct number entry... Just in case anyone wasn't aware, the Rewind and Fast-Forward buttons on a Roku remote work as Page Up / Page Down for quickly scrolling through the Live TV channel guide, and through most other long listings (not for Pluto TV, though).

Also, so long as you don't have Live TV Pause enabled with a USB memory stick, the Skip-Back / Instant-Replay button will work as a Last Channel key, for quickly toggling back & forth between two channels. I wish it were possible to retain this feature without giving up Live TV Pause completely, using only Rew/FF for moving within the pause buffer.

@Tivoburkee  - thanks for linking to those numeral codes! I have an ancient UEI remote stored away, which hopefully will be compatible, and could then be used as a source for getting them into various IR learning remotes.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@packetrat 

It would have to have Roku code 3061 or 03061, only recent uei remotes have that code. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
TheBatGirl
Channel Surfer

...indeed, why are there no numbers on roku remotes?

best answer would 'seem to be' just use voice type roku remote and say the channel number (does this actually work?)

BUT, people with a speech impediment (MS has made left side of lips/tongue numb) or mute would not be able to use this type... BUT a number pad would make it truly 'accessible'. Of course my MS has also made both my hands numb and loss of dexterity, so bumping an arrow key is NOT helpful... tapping a few digits much better!

'nuf said

0 Kudos