Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

When will Roku TV firmware 10.0 be released?

Jump to solution

Like many other people I have a very annoying problem with the audio and video being out of sync when using a soundbar with my TCL 65R635 Roku TV.  I've spent hours trying a variety of settings and a couple of hours on the phone with TCL support.

Their conclusion was that the problem is a known issue that is inherent in the Roku software.  I was told that firmware update 10.0 is supposed to fix this but they didn't know when it would be released.

I've seen reports that the new 10.0 firmware has already been released for other Roku products so I'm wondering when it will be released for the Roku TVs.

I've also seen that there may be a way to change my TV's update server to the beta server rather than the normal update server, which may allow me to update to a beta version of 10.0 before it's officially released.  Does anyone know how to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: When will Roku TV firmware 10.0 be released?

Jump to solution

Hi @GuitarMan @CloudTractor,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Currently, we don't have any information to share at that moment, feel free to
keep an eye on our blog at blog.roku.com for any future announcements or updates.

Thanks,

Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21

Jump to solution

Yeah, I'm interested too.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the inquiry.

keep an eye on our blog at blog.roku.com for any future announcements or updates.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks,

Mary

Thanks but that doesn't really help.  I don't mean to be argumentative but other people have reported receiving the 10.0 update already.  That tells me it's very unlikely, actually impossible, that Roku doesn't know anything about it.  TCL seems to know something about it so Roku should know more considering they are the ones who develop the software.

So, can you please let me know when 10.0 will be released for my 65R635?  I'm still within the return window for my TV and I don't know that I want to take the chance that 10.0 won't fix the audio sync issues.  If I know for sure that it won't, I will look into returning the TV and buying something else that isn't a Roku TV.  

On the other hand, if you can assure me that 10.0 really will fix the sync issues, I'll sit tight and wait for it.  Again, please don't tell me you don't have any info about what 10.0 will fix and when it's supposed to be released.  I know that is not true. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @GuitarMan,

Thanks for the message regarding the Roku OS 10.0.

All Roku TV models are expected to receive the automatic software update in the near future.

For more information, check out our post on the Roku Blog here: Roku OS 10 makes streaming easier with quicker access to content, automatic settings and customizati...

Thanks,

Mary

GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi @GuitarMan,

Thanks for the message regarding the Roku OS 10.0.

All Roku TV models are expected to receive the automatic software update in the near future.

For more information, check out our post on the Roku Blog here: Roku OS 10 makes streaming easier with quicker access to content, automatic settings and customizati...

Thanks,

Mary

Thank you.   So there is a mention in the developer's blog that says the following.

Support for UTCTiming in DASH — The UTCTiming element is used in DASH manifests to allow the clocks employed by the server and player to remain in close synchronization. Without this, when there is a timing discrepancy of even as little as 100ms between the local and server clocks live video play can freeze, and audio and video can fall out of sync, as the player requests unavailable, out-of-window segments.

Can you confirm that this is what should fix the AV sync issue that most of us who are using soundbars via HDMI are experiencing?

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

OK, I just did a manual update check and 10.0 is there.   I'm installing the update as I type this.  I'll know within a couple of days of testing whether or not the AV sync issues are fixed. 

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

So here's my experience so far with the update.  

First, it was a major pain.  After the update it kept showing "No Signal" when I switched to HDMI 1 which is where my Apple TV is connected.  I had to unplug the power from the Apple TV, reboot the TV, restart the soundbar, disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV, remove the input from the TV settings, re-add it, etc.. I had to do all of this at least 5 times before everything started working right.

I then had to repeat the process 2 or 3 times for the eARC port, HDMI4, in order to get the soundbar working right again.  At one point the soundbar stopped responding to its own remote and wouldn't start again until I removed the port from the TV and reconnected the soundbar.

I haven't even touched the Firestick yet.....

As for the audio sync, it does seem to be improved but still off a little bit.  I haven't done enough testing to pinpoint whether it's still an issue with the TV or whether it's the signal source.  I did notice it was closer to being in sync when I switched between Auto Detect and Auto Passthrough so there's that.

BTW, the Audio settings are now called Auto, Passthrough, Stereo, and Custom which has two options, Dolby Digital or DTS.   

I did notice that if I'm using the Apple TV and the sound starts to go out of sync, going into the sound settings and switching from Auto to any of the others, then switching back to Auto, brings it back in sync.   But just as before the update, if I'm using the Apple TV, setting the TV's audio to Auto works better than the other settings.  Passthrough is still slightly more out of sync. 

Will update as I do more testing over the next couple of days.

GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Another update in case anyone's interested. 

Using the Apple TV4K connected to the TV's HDMI 1 with the TCL Alto 9+ soundbar connected to the eARC port (HDMI4), with the TV's audio set to Auto the audio is more or less in sync (not perfect though).  With the TV's audio set to Passthrough it's out of sync by about 150ms.

Switching over to the TV's internal apps, with the TV's audio set to Auto, Netflix is almost 200ms out of sync.  If I change the TV's audio to Passthrough, the audio is in sync.  However, Prime is in sync with the TV's audio set to either Auto or Passthrough.

So it seems like the AV sync varies between apps and input sources.  The TV's Netflix app is the worst one.  Everything else seems to work fine when the TV's audio is set to Auto.  I guess I will just use Netflix on the Apple TV.

Actually, the only thing I really need is the Apple TV and for other more custom apps, the Firestick.   Don't really even need the TV's Roku apps except maybe the actual Roku channel which has some interesting stations on it. 

In summary, the AV sync has been improved but not entirely fixed.  Some input sources are only in sync when the TV's audio is set to a particular setting, either Auto or Passthrough.  But not every input source will work with the same Audio setting on the TV.

And with the Apple TV, even though it's almost in sync with the TV's audio set to Auto, no matter what I do it's still always out of sync by anything from a barely perceptible amount to a somewhat perceptible amount depending on the show and the channel it's on. 

A disappointing effort from Roku.   Do I keep the TV???  I'll have to think about this one.....

0 Kudos
Gohstmaker
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku 10 update killed my live tv.

0 Kudos