Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hurleym
Binge Watcher

Re: What dose “Error 008” really mean?

Jump to solution

Same exact tv 55S20 and same exact error with 008 firmware server unavailable. Also tried usb download and model does not exist. Roku and Tcl support are clueless.  I can’t even use my tv at all because it’s straight out of the box until this is fixed and it won’t get past the update screen.   Does anyone know a workaround where I can at least use online apps like Netflix with the current 9.2.2 firmware until they fix this?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Make sure you're using the Roku model number from Settings->About and not the TV model number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Hurleym
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Model number is correct. As of an hour ago, ROKU finally added the model to their tvupdate.roku database. My correct tv came up 55S20 and I downloaded the firmware to USB. I plugged the USB into the tv, went to the update via USB where it verified my 12 digit code on the tv and provided a 6 digit code to complete the update. Upon entering the 6 digit code in the final step, I received "software update failed". This entire process is a joke. Network connected update doesnt work and now USB doesnt work. I waited 72 hours for the firmware to come available to download and now that it has, it doesnt work either.

ammholt

Re: What to do when there’s an error 008

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem too.  I called support and went through all of the steps and nothing worked.  Support elevated the issue, and now I have to wait for someone to call me back.  This is my first experience with TCL and Roku and it's very frustrating.

Fefe2990
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I never received an email and it is still not fixed and that automatic reply with the same old trouble shooting does NOT work. Everything has been reset many times and tried many different networks and hotspots, still nothing. 

Jump to solution

I haven't found a solution to getting it connected, but if you hit the home button, you can bypass the setup and go to the input menu.

I am mad, but I currently have mine hooked up to an old roku stick so I can use it. I want to be able to set up smart functions, but at least I can do something with this thing while I wait for them to drag their feet.

BTACAttack
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just hooked up and started my new 55" Series 4 TCL Roku TV and I am encountering the same 008 error code message that everyone else on the forum in this discussion is having.  I've tried all of the recommendations that everyone has posted, including the ones from Roku support.  I am at my wits end.  I purchased the same 2 TVs at the same time.  One works, one doesn't.  I need Roku to come up with a solution.  My TV is already hanging from the ceiling and don't wanna return it and start over. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Seems like some older TCL Roku firmware has a bug and may point to a defunct server. Or something.

A manual update may be needed. See:

https://support.tcl.com/rokutv-common-questions/01-how-to-manually-update-the-software-on-your-tcl-r...

0 Kudos
HOBACK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have found a solution, don’t know if you still need help

0 Kudos