Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malrats
Level 8

What’s the best way to connect a Roku TV to an AVR?

I have a TCL 55S401 Roku TV (which is experiencing audio delay, but I have many other threads on that issue) and a Pioneer VSX-532 with 5.1 speakers that I bought in an attempt to remedy the issue.

With the AVR it seems that the only way to see video for all of the sources that are connected to it via HDMI is to actually go into the Roku TV OS and select the HDMI 1 (ARC) input that the AVR is connected to. This also means that all of my connected sources are stuck having the exact same video settings as each other since they’re all technically connected to the same HDMI input on the TV, at least as far as it’s concerned.

Is this the correct way to go about this? Are there any particular settings on the Roku TV itself that I should change in order to have the best experience possible with the AVR?
TCL 55S401 Roku TV (Unsolved audio/video lag issues!)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
DougHill
Level 7

Re: What’s the best way to connect a Roku TV to an AVR?

Following to see how to make this work.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

That's the way it works, regardless of the TV OS. If you use an AVR as your HDMI switch, everything appears to the TV as the same source. I haven't had any issues with that myself. I make sure my Yamaha AVRs are in video passthrough, to ensure they aren't doing any video rescaling or processing. While I have a couple of Roku TVs, I don't use an AVR on either of them, so can't make any suggestions about possible changes. Do be aware that you can change the way the HDMI port on the TV is labeled, and this can change some of the internal display settings. For example, I use my Sharp 4K as a computer monitor when teleworking, and for the HDMI port I connect my laptop to I changed the label to Computer. I understand that changes a couple of the colorspace settings. But can't say for sure exactly what changes. You might try experimenting with different labels to see if it impacts what you feed into that port. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
That's the way it works, regardless of the TV OS. If you use an AVR as your HDMI switch, everything appears to the TV as the same source. I haven't had any issues with that myself. I make sure my Yamaha AVRs are in video passthrough, to ensure they aren't doing any video rescaling or processing. While I have a couple of Roku TVs, I don't use an AVR on either of them, so can't make any suggestions about possible changes. Do be aware that you can change the way the HDMI port on the TV is labeled, and this can change some of the internal display settings. For example, I use my Sharp 4K as a computer monitor when teleworking, and for the HDMI port I connect my laptop to I changed the label to Computer. I understand that changes a couple of the colorspace settings. But can't say for sure exactly what changes. You might try experimenting with different labels to see if it impacts what you feed into that port. 

Unfortunately, the labels of the HDMI ports on my TV don’t change anything except for the name of the input. All settings are done within the input in a small (and limited) settings screen. Or on the Roku remote app.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"malrats" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Unfortunately, the labels of the HDMI ports on my TV don’t change anything except for the name of the input. All settings are done within the input in a small (and limited) settings screen. Or on the Roku remote app.

Changing the label doesn't alter any settings that you can see. But I do know that changing the label to Computer does alter something. I believe lag is one thing it addresses, as that becomes noticeable when using a computer. Can't say for sure what else is changed, but what it does change isn't anything you can see on any of the menus. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

"malrats" wrote:
This also means that all of my connected sources are stuck having the exact same video settings as each other since they’re all technically connected to the same HDMI input on the TV, at least as far as it’s concerned.

Your assumption is wrong. Your TV will display whatever signal comes though HDMI. Your AVR will pass through whatever signal comes from the source. This is how it is supposed to work.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"apodtele" wrote:
"malrats" wrote:
This also means that all of my connected sources are stuck having the exact same video settings as each other since they’re all technically connected to the same HDMI input on the TV, at least as far as it’s concerned.

Your assumption is wrong. Your TV will display whatever signal comes though HDMI. Your AVR will pass through whatever signal comes from the source. This is how it is supposed to work.

Actually, he's accurate. He's referring to the settings within the TV for that HDMI port. Those won't change when he switches feeds at the AVR. 
Dan
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
"apodtele" wrote:
"malrats" wrote:

Actually, he's accurate. He's referring to the settings within the TV for that HDMI port. Those won't change when he switches feeds at the AVR. 

Yeah, that’s exactly what I meant.
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

You should be able to connect all video sources directly to TV and return audio to AVR via HDMI ARC. No?
0 Kudos
malrats
Level 8

"apodtele" wrote:
You should be able to connect all video sources directly to TV and return audio to AVR via HDMI ARC. No?

I’m not sure if I could do that in theory, but I bought the AVR in an attempt to correct an audio sync issue with my Roku TV. I’m trying to take away its audio processing duties.
0 Kudos