Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

Weird random split-second blink/flicker (TCL 55S555 Roku TV)

So I got this TV a few weeks ago, and it's been great so far.

However, i've noticed that at completely random times, the screen will flicker/blink for a split-second, kind of like blinking your eyes but only on the TV. No interruption to audio, internet, playback on stream continues, etc. Happens while playing PS5, Prime Video, Disney+, Plex, etc. Sometimes it's happened twice in 10 minutes, sometimes it's once in several hours.

At first I thought it had something to do with the PC I had plugged in on one of the inputs (disconnected at this point), but it still seems to be happening occasionally.

At this point i'm wondering if it has something to do with an HDMI cable I had to swap in for the PS5 (I was using the included one from Sony before) when moving things around for the new TV...is it possible a junk cable could still be causing issues just from being plugged in (with the PS5 in rest mode) while using the built-in apps?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Weird random split-second blink/flicker (TCL 55S555 Roku TV)

Hello @Deathwing182

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

We recommend restarting your Roku TV, Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart and unplug your TV for 10-15 minutes then plug it back in to resolve the issue. If the issue still persists, we would recommend you contact the TV manufacturer for the issue. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS.

Here is the contact information for TCL support: 
https://support.tclusa.com/televisions
1-877-300-8837

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Deathwing182
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuKarla,

That was one of the first things I tried, unfortunately it didn't help.

Was hoping someone had at least heard of this particular issue happening before - if this isn't the right place to ask for help then i'll just wait and see if a new HDMI cable helps tomorrow & send an email to TCL in the meantime.

Jaretly

I have the same problem, did you ever find a fix?

0 Kudos
mungbeans
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue on my TCL 50S555, but it's usually between cuts when watching something on HBO Max or Roku channel, it's like there's a frame of black in between or some kind of image glitch. Doesn't seem to happen on Netflix or Prime Video.

I've tried turning each of the picture settings on/off (motion, natural cinema, local dimming etc) and it made no difference. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@mungbeans, try turning off "Auto-adjust display frame rate" under Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Advanced display settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mungbeans
Reel Rookie

thanks for your reply @renojim – I don't seem to have that subcategory...

I also tried "TV picture settings" in the settings menu as well as "Expert picture settings" via the Roku iOS app, nothing there either.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@mungbeans, sorry, I was afraid of that.  I guess TVs don't have that option like the sticks and other players.  Maybe it's not an issue for TVs?  I could be leading you down the wrong path.  The thing that made me suggest it was the help text that appears on that option:

"Auto adjust display refresh rate to the content's native format as needed.  This may result in black flashes when the video starts and stops.  The refresh rate will return to the previous settings when video playback is complete."

It kind of sounded like what you're seeing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mungbeans
Reel Rookie

@renojim ahh ok I see.

I've tried recording my Roku TV in slow motion to see what's happening between cuts, but I can't spot this "frame of black" that my brain is seeing. Here is an example of it. The next shot rolls/fades down the screen, but I think that could be an effect from the phone camera's rolling shutter rather than the TV. 

My only other theory is it's something to do with the TV's brightness / dimming zones somehow not keeping up with the shots themselves, so it appears darker for a split second.

0 Kudos
WhiskAppIssue91
Channel Surfer

I'm having this exact same issue and have since purchase earlier this year. It begins again less then a day after a restart. There is obviously something wrong with this model. I shouldn't have to restart or power cycle my TV even weekly.