Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooldude16321
Reel Rookie

Vizio Soundbar SB36512-F6 with brand new TCL 65R635

Jump to solution

I have a vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 that is 5.1.2 dolby atmos capable. this new TCL tv I just bought TCL Roku 65R635 will not recognize dolby signals on Amazon, Disney Plus or play anything in Netflix. All that comes through is no sound. When i'm in the menu I hear the clicking as i scroll through the apps so it sees it and I can play content on hulu which the sound bar says is not dolby. Occasionally depending on the app it will play a second or 2 of audio and then long segments of no sound or I get a high pitched wine coming from the speakers but nothing consistent. This bar worked on my old tv using a Roku ultra external device plugged in so I don't believe the issue is with the soundbar.I also have all the latest updates Software 11.0.0 build 4193-88

I've factory reset both the tv and the soundbar bought new hdmi cables and tried old ones with no luck. Anything special I'm missing here? appreciate the help.

Further Information I found. I can get the soundbar to work in a 5.1 by going to Settings Audio- Custom and selecting DTS on with Dolby Digital. It does not work with passthrough or Dolby Digital Plus so It seems it won't decode the Atmos or DTSX signals and send to the sound bar.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cooldude16321
Reel Rookie

Re: Vizio Soundbar SB36512-F6 with brand new TCL 65R635

Jump to solution

So over the weekend my father who has the exact same model Vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 brought his over and we hooked it up to the TCL 65R635. What was interesting was his soundbar worked exactly as it should through pass thru audio displaying the green indicator for Dolby Atmos and actually playing sound like you would expect from streaming apps Disney + and the inbuilt roku Dolby App. My soundbar model and his model had identical firmware and settings but something with mine is just broke and the tv doesn't like. We bought the soundbars from the same company (Sams Club) within weeks of each other so either I got a bad one initially and I never noticed because I didn't have a 4k tv or anything to really test the Atmos out on or my eArch broke later because when when initially tested it out 2 years ago with a blue ray I did get the green symbol to play hooking the blue ray to the back of the sound bar and playing a newer Atmos disc. (I think we tested Wonder Women initially). I just purchased a newer Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 that I'm waiting for it to come in from Best Buy so I'm going to test that out before my return period expires on the tv in case this soundbar doesn't end up working either. From this testing over the weekend it looks like the TV is actually working fine. Maybe vizio is just having a sling of quality control problems with that model year when they made it. I'll keep you all posted.

Updated from installing the new Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 with the latest 2.0.0.4 firmware. Everything works as expected with the TCL 65R635 with the TV audio set to pass thru setting, eArch hdmi 4 with CEC on the tv. I guess if you have Vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 like me that does not work on this tv then you must have a bad model or something wrong with the arc port on it. The only remedy would be to get a new system which I realize is not ideal for everyone. At least the equivalent Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 has been confirmed working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mtwong26

Jump to solution

I have had similar issues with my year+ old 65R635. TCL has no idea how to fix this and Roku appears to not know what to do either. Seems to be a software update issue that occurred from 10.5 on.

It sucks. I'd return the TV and find something else. The team at TCL seems pretty clueless.

Fate7x7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  Have done EXACTLY all the same steps you have.  I haven't had much luck yet with TCL support.  Keep us posted if you hear anything, and I'll do the same.

0 Kudos
Tmo55

Jump to solution

Just making sure you’ve updated the sound at using these instructions: https://support.vizio.com/s/article/M51a-H6-and-M512a-H6-Firmware-Information?language=en_US

I have the same tv and soundbar and have had issues. The tv never gives me the “Dolby Atmos” notification, but the soundbar does show a green light which others have said means atmos is enabled. Sounds like the Dolby support for TCL was just totally half-baked. 

0 Kudos
cooldude16321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So over the weekend my father who has the exact same model Vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 brought his over and we hooked it up to the TCL 65R635. What was interesting was his soundbar worked exactly as it should through pass thru audio displaying the green indicator for Dolby Atmos and actually playing sound like you would expect from streaming apps Disney + and the inbuilt roku Dolby App. My soundbar model and his model had identical firmware and settings but something with mine is just broke and the tv doesn't like. We bought the soundbars from the same company (Sams Club) within weeks of each other so either I got a bad one initially and I never noticed because I didn't have a 4k tv or anything to really test the Atmos out on or my eArch broke later because when when initially tested it out 2 years ago with a blue ray I did get the green symbol to play hooking the blue ray to the back of the sound bar and playing a newer Atmos disc. (I think we tested Wonder Women initially). I just purchased a newer Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 that I'm waiting for it to come in from Best Buy so I'm going to test that out before my return period expires on the tv in case this soundbar doesn't end up working either. From this testing over the weekend it looks like the TV is actually working fine. Maybe vizio is just having a sling of quality control problems with that model year when they made it. I'll keep you all posted.

Updated from installing the new Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 with the latest 2.0.0.4 firmware. Everything works as expected with the TCL 65R635 with the TV audio set to pass thru setting, eArch hdmi 4 with CEC on the tv. I guess if you have Vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 like me that does not work on this tv then you must have a bad model or something wrong with the arc port on it. The only remedy would be to get a new system which I realize is not ideal for everyone. At least the equivalent Vizio 5.1.2 M512a-H6 has been confirmed working.

0 Kudos