Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Video distortion (rolling bands) on TCL TV

I'm having a problem with my TCL 49S405 that seems like a hardware fault, but I wanted to check if anyone has seen it before, since it's out of warranty and I'm not optimistic that TCL will help.

The problem is horizontal light and dark bands (~1 cm wide) that continuously roll from the bottom to the top of the screen, pretty much constantly and no matter what the video source. It's most obvious on solid dark backgrounds, and seems to be slightly better (but still present) in HDR sources. It happens while just sitting on the Roku home screen, as well as when watching content over any HDMI input, and when watching with built-in apps such as Netflix and Amazon prime.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Video distortion (rolling bands) on TCL TV

@danep 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Video distortion (rolling bands) on TCL TV

Thanks, yes I contacted TCL support but since the TV is out of warranty all they could do was to provide generic troubleshooting steps that weren't helpful.

Googling reveals that a large number of other owners of this TV have a similar problem, so it seems pretty clear to be a factory defect, but I don't think any solution exists other than to buy a new TV (definitely not from TCL this time...)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

TCL 6 Series (R625) presenting with subtle horizontal wavy lines in grey areas. Help!

So this is a new issue that I am seeing in the past month or so. It may have been there the whole time and I’m only just noticing it now.

I got this TCL 6 Series (55” R625) in March and have been constantly impressed by it, but this new (?) issue is testing me.

I first noticed it when watching Night on Earth in 4K Dolby Vision on Netflix. It was a scene in the snow with penguins and there was a lot of gray and white and what I started noticing was these horizontal lines kind of waving up the screen, it looks like a sort of wave. It only seems to present in grayish areas on the screen and it’s always horizontal lines moving upward on the screen. It’s pretty subtle and my wife didn’t notice it at first but now that I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it.

I’ve checked out a gray screen uniformity test on YouTube and was able to confirm that there is this issue on footage other than Netflix. I'm even seeing in on 480p videos. The screen is otherwise perfectly uniform as far as I can tell in the grey tests. It’s hard to capture on video but I hope the video I uploaded will at least give you an idea of what I’m seeing.

I thought maybe it was a ground loop issue but I switched out my surge protector for a new one and no dice.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Is this something I should be worried about? Is there anyway to stop it? I find it very distracting and I'm worried something might be wrong with the TV.

https://youtu.be/4yIQCWmmdcc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL 6 Series (R625) presenting with subtle horizontal wavy lines in grey areas. Help!

This is unfortunately just something that is a problem with TCL TVs in general. Owned the P605 and now the R615 and they all have panel uniformity issues. Also, if you want to hook up a soundbar or to a receiver you will most likely have audio sync problems. I am personally done with TCL TVs. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: TCL 6 Series (R625) presenting with subtle horizontal wavy lines in grey areas. Help!

It's not a uniformity issue as far as I can tell, I don't have any DSE at all. And this is a barely visible phenomenon that is actually in motion, rather than an issue with an on screen pattern that remains still. And I have mine hooked up to a receiver and don't have a single sync issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have the exact same issue on the same model TV. After talking with TCL support, they said it requires an on-site repair and are sending someone out in the next week or so to replace the part. Mine does not seem to do it on any HDMI inputs, just the Roku interface. 

Highlighted

I've not thought to look at my other sources. I will check those out and maybe I'll reach out to Roku directly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Make sure to contact TCL and not Roku, else they will most likely just refer you over there. Go ahead and get a video of it ready because they will ask for it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just as a quick follow up- TCL replaced the TV and the new one does not have this issue. 

0 Kudos