Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattchew
Level 7

Use TV speakers AND optical audio out

I have my TV's (TCL 5S525) optical out to my 5.1 receiver. It seems to work fine if I turn the internal speakers OFF. If I turn the internal speakers ON, then the receiver won't receive Dolby Digital signal- and loses surround sound. It just puts out stereo sound.

Is there a way to allow TV speakers to be used and allow optical out to output the Dolby DTS signal? Sometimes I'll turn on the TV just for the news and don't want to turn on my receiver (wasted energy and heat). But then when I play games or watch movies obviously I'd turn on the receiver.

I tried to hook up bluetooth speakers that are on my desk- but since they're not Roku brand it won't connect. (Thats a whole other topic that is pretty ridiculous)

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cab4u69
Level 7

Re: Use TV speakers AND optical audio out

No, I don't have an answer for you. But thank you solving a problem for me. Couldn't get Dolby Digital out of my roku tv to my receiver, just stereo. But like you said turning off the speakers in the roku tv settings worked!! Thanks a bunch.

0 Kudos
sehale
Level 7

Re: Use TV speakers AND optical audio out

Gotta say I don't have an answer either but your question also solved my issue as to why I wasn't getting DTS out to my receiver over the optical out. Thanks

0 Kudos