Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDye
Level 7

Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
Hello,

I am new here. Please forgive me if this has been posted here already (I didn't see any post like this one though).
So, I have a roku ready Hitachi TV. Hitachi 43R5. The TV came with a roku stick 3400x and the roku remote. The stick has no use as of now, I don't recall how I had set this TV up when I bought it.
I can unplug the 3400x stick and the TV just runs without it, probably because the TV has an inbuilt roku OS. So, I am not sure why they sent a roku stick 3400x in the first place.
I even tried using that 3400x on other HDMI ports but my TV doesn't recognize it (just says waiting for the input). 
If I want to get something like Roku Ultra, do I simply plug that in to one of the ports and have 2 rokus (one in built and one Roku ultra) running in my TV? Or is there any other/better way?
Also, what exactly does this 3400x do? Is that just for the initial set up?

I checked with Hitachi too, they said they don't control the roku software, so they don't know.

My goal is to get Roku 4k Ultra working in my TV, preferably without having to run 2 different rokus.
Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution

Sorry, but no. There no mhl roku made, does the jvc have true hdmi? Just plug the new roku in there and use new remote that comes with the roku.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
Roku ready TV's don't have a built in Roku OS..The Roku OS is only on the stick.

You'll have have no problems using the Roku with that TV though.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
The Roku 3400 Stick is what's called an MHL device, and will only function on a display with an MHL port. You can't use it on any other HDMI port, nor any display without an MHL port. But if your TV operates otherwise fine without the 3400 connected, then you should be fine using an Ultra on it. But I don't know if the MHL port can be used by a "normal" HDMI input device, so you might need to connect the Ultra to a different port. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JDye
Level 7

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
Thank you! This TV doesn't seem to have an MHL port (from what I can tell), it has just 2 HDMI ports and one HDMI (ARC) port. 
Since the TV just works like Roku without any sticks, it seems redundant to get a new Roku player but that's perhaps the only way I can get UHD in my TV. 
Thank you again for your input! Much appreciated. 
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
"JDye" wrote:
Thank you! This TV doesn't seem to have an MHL port (from what I can tell), it has just 2 HDMI ports and one HDMI (ARC) port. 
Since the TV just works like Roku without any sticks, it seems redundant to get a new Roku player but that's perhaps the only way I can get UHD in my TV. 
Thank you again for your input! Much appreciated. 

The Roku Ready TVs had an MHL port. That Roku Stick is an MHL device. You do realize that MHL is a type of HDMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Hi ... ition_Link

And, as said before, it's a Roku MHL Stick (model 3400; also model 3420). If you remove it, you don't have Roku anymore. So, it's no different than upgrading a 3500 HDMI Stick to an Ultra. But if you're happy with the MHL Stick, there's no reason to upgrade.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
"DBDukes" wrote:
"JDye" wrote:
Thank you! This TV doesn't seem to have an MHL port (from what I can tell), it has just 2 HDMI ports and one HDMI (ARC) port. 
Since the TV just works like Roku without any sticks, it seems redundant to get a new Roku player but that's perhaps the only way I can get UHD in my TV. 
Thank you again for your input! Much appreciated. 

The Roku Ready TVs had an MHL port. That Roku Stick is an MHL device. You do realize that MHL is a type of HDMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Hi ... ition_Link

And, as said before, it's a Roku MHL Stick (model 3400; also model 3420). If you remove it, you don't have Roku anymore. So, it's no different than upgrading a 3500 HDMI Stick to an Ultra. But if you're happy with the MHL Stick, there's no reason to upgrade.


Looked up his model number of TV, and apparently it DOES have Roku OS built on.. not sure why the stick was even included with it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
"jeffrok" wrote:
...
Looked up his model number of TV, and apparently it DOES have Roku OS built on.. not sure why the stick was even included with it.

I'm seeing that now. The Roku TV models were introduced after the MHL Stick (3400, 3420) were discontinued for separate sale (early 2014). I recall seeing some TVs for sale in Walmart that included the MHL Stick after that -- I assume they were sold in other places, too -- but this TV is an actual Roku TV, not a Roku Ready TV.

Something's not right. Like you, the MHL Stick doesn't make any sense being with this TV.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
JDye
Level 7

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
Thanks for the input. 
As you all noted, the 3400x stick hasn't really been of any use in this model. I didn't remove it for months, thinking that stick was the actual source for my TV.
So now, getting a separate Roku Ultra and plugging in one of the HDMI ports may work.
I wonder If it's the only way for me to get the upgrade. Thanks again! 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
"JDye" wrote:
Thanks for the input. 
As you all noted, the 3400x stick hasn't really been of any use in this model. I didn't remove it for months, thinking that stick was the actual source for my TV.
So now, getting a separate Roku Ultra and plugging in one of the HDMI ports may work.
I wonder If it's the only way for me to get the upgrade. Thanks again! 


You'll still get firmware upgrades to the TV, if that's what you're wondering.. but the Ultra IS much faster than your TV, as far as navigation of menus goes.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jmsnyc
Level 7

Re: Use Roku ultra on a roku ready tv?

Jump to solution
And you should buy the Ultra before the day is over....   given that its CyberMonday
0 Kudos