Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colinnwn
Level 7

Upgrading older Roku TVs

I bought an original 2014 TCL Roku TV. It is disappointing how slow it load apps now. But the picture is still great, and I have no desire to replace it aside from how slow it is to start playing shows on Google Play, Acorn, and to a lesser extent Netflix. 

I wish that Roku would enhance their firmware so if you plug a newer Roku box into an old Roku TV, the TV automatically defaults to using the newer Roku box for everything except live TV. It seems like that wouldn't be hard to do.

I know I can still plug a newer Roku box into the TV. But since there is no dedicated source button on the remote, using the Roku TV with a newer Roku box would be more of a pain than using a Roku box with a non Roku TV.

Given what has happened, the next time I need a new TV, as much as I like the Roku interface and will definitely continue using Roku boxes, I am unlikely to purchase another Roku TV.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Upgrading older Roku TVs

I believe you can set the Roku TV to default to an HDMI input when powered up, which would have your external Roku player attached. Yes, you still need two remotes, although if you bought a new Roku with the enhanced remote (has volume buttons) you should be able to control the volume with the remote for the external player. While I was staying long term in a hotel last year, I took my Ultra with me, but ended up buying my Sharp 4K Roku TV while I was there. I had the Ultra connected to the Sharp, and could use either Roku interface. Biggest problem I had was remembering which remote was which, since both remotes had volume buttons.  Smiley LOL But the Ultra remote didn't have a mute or power button, so that was the obvious giveaway. 
I have two Roku TVs. The Insignia is a small 720p set, and has much lower performance than my Ultra, Stick, or the Sharp. I have to say the Sharp is equal in performance to my Ultra, and actually works better with UHD movie rips from my home server than the Ultra. So I wouldn't discount the Roku TV platform completely. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Upgrading older Roku TVs

"colinnwn" wrote:
I bought an original 2014 TCL Roku TV. It is disappointing how slow it load apps now. But the picture is still great, and I have no desire to replace it aside from how slow it is to start playing shows on Google Play, Acorn, and to a lesser extent Netflix. 

I wish that Roku would enhance their firmware so if you plug a newer Roku box into an old Roku TV, the TV automatically defaults to using the newer Roku box for everything except live TV. It seems like that wouldn't be hard to do.

I know I can still plug a newer Roku box into the TV. But since there is no dedicated source button on the remote, using the Roku TV with a newer Roku box would be more of a pain than using a Roku box with a non Roku TV.

Given what has happened, the next time I need a new TV, as much as I like the Roku interface and will definitely continue using Roku boxes, I am unlikely to purchase another Roku TV.

FYI. There is an option in the Roku menu to have your TV POWER UP to whatever input you desire, including an HDMI input that you plug an updated Roku Stick or Roku Box into.

SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- POWER ON

You can select an HDMI input at POWER ON that you want the set to default to at start up.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos