Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ebiere
Level 7

Update TV software for better experience message

"Check software update" popped up on TV screen.  ,Did not request this.   Current vision and latest version data listed.  Also message "Hi, We optimized the TV picture quality, improved some features of popular apps and fixed some known issues.  Please update the TV software for a better user experience".  The options are to "upgrade or Later or "Don't remind.   None of the options will respond.  Stuck.  Have unpowered the TV and plugged it back in.  Message remains.  How do I get rid of this?   

4 Replies
Visitor45763
Level 14

Re: Update TV software for better experience message

Are you not connected to the internet? (Usually it would update itself.). 

A factory reset might work. If you can't reach the home>settings>system>advanced menu, there is a pinhole button to press on the back of the tv. I'm unclear how that's supposed to be used. I've read people holding it and turning on the tv. Or, holding it and plugging in the tv. Or, holding it while the tv's on. The common theme is to hold it 20-30 seconds until the front light comes on or flashes.

I don't remember how the initial setup works. But, someone recently said if you select the option that you have no internet access, it will install an older version the tv came preloaded with(?). There is a manual update process. But, depending on how you use your tv the most, you might not like the latest version.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Ebiere
Level 7

I do have the internet.  I am using a Roku streaming device.  No pinhole to hold on the back of the T.V.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

I'm not familiar with the external device Roku. I'm pretty sure there is a reset pinhole. There is another forum area I've seen those devices discussed more than this Roku TV forum. You might get more ideas there.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Are you sure this is Roku?  It seems odd to me that a roku player would say: "Please update the TV software for a better user experience."  Have you tried pushing the buttons with the TV remote?

0 Kudos