Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moriah35

Universal Remote

Jump to solution

I have an onn roku tv the remote all the sudden quit working with the tv. I've gone through all the troubleshooting tutorials for the remote which is an ir remote. And nothing worked. Would an universal remote work with this tv since it has roku built into it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Universal Remote

Jump to solution

@Moriah35

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact Onn here: http://onntvsupport.com/#product_support-2 or at 1-844-334-2355.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku tv's don't use a roku code usually found in universal remotes, they need a tv code suited for roku tv's. I like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer remote, works great on roku tv's. You can find them open box on ebay for about $10, you can by them new at walmart usually abount $16.88. P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Moriah35

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

If you need a replacement remote for a Roku TV, you would need to contact your TV manufacturer. You can contact Onn here: http://onntvsupport.com/#product_support-2 or at 1-844-334-2355.

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Moriah35 wrote: remote all the sudden quit working with the tv.

It's possible the tv's IR sensor went out. (There are videos about how to replace it inexpensively. But, could be daunting.). If that's the case, a new remote may not work. If you view the front of your remote through your cell phone's camera, you should see the IR illuminate. If you've replaced the batteries, and don't see that IR, then it's likely a new remote would work. You don't need universal, but the one tivoburkee referred to is nice. Otherwise you could just get a Roku replacement.

If you do see the IR (through your phone's camera), then it could be the tv's sensor. In which case I think you could buy the Roku enhanced voice remote and it would control your tv using wifi (not IR). I think those work with any Roku TV. I'm not sure.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

Re: Universal Remote (TCL Roku-based TV works with RCA Universal Remote, except for volume)

Jump to solution

I use an RCA Universal 6 device IR remote.  I found that programming it to work with external Roku devices was reasonably simple: there are three 5 digit codes for Roku devices (like the Roku stick, 3900, etc.) and one of them worked. This had to be programmed on the SAT/CBL/STREAM button on the remote.  I use it because it allows me to use one remote for everything: TV, BluRay, DVR, audio amplifier, etc.; and it's also cheaper to replace than the manufactuers' remotes.

I recently bought a TCL 40S325 Roku-based TV.  I tried all of the RCA codes for TCL TVs with the "TV" button on the remote, but none worked.

The solution in this case is to program the "SAT/CBL/STREAM" button on the remote to a working Roku code.

Even though your TV looks like a TV, to get an RCA Universal remote to control it you have to talk to the TV as if it was just a Roku.  (In my specific case, code 54410 worked.)  In a way, this does make sense, as the TV thinks it's a streaming device; though it does still also receive normal over-the-air TV channels.

In this case, TCL did something smart: although they supply a standard Roku RF remote, the TV also has a standard IR receiver (which even "blinks" when it receives a command), so making your Roku-Equipped TCL TV work with a universal IR remote is quite simple.  You just need some patience as you try the available codes for the remote.

HOWEVER: I do still have one problem.  The remote does not control audio volume.  I don't know if it's because the TV only responds to RF signals to control remote, or if there is some better / different code that has to be entered into the universal remote.

If anyone knows how to get a Universal Remote to control both the Roku functions and the TV's volume control at the same time, please let us know.

(I was using a Pioneer Elite amplifier with the TV and programmed the RCA remote to control the volume through that: but an hour or so ago the IR in the Pioneer stopped working.  I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, it is over 20 years old.)

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Re: Universal Remote (TCL Roku-based TV works with RCA Universal Remote, except for volume)

Jump to solution

Just a thought, have you tried the "Code Search" method of finding the correct codes for your TV?  Sometimes this works where the little booklet doesn't.  It is somewhat time consuming, one time.  Then you're done.

As I said, just a thought.

0 Kudos
BartZLederman
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Code Search is a reasonable suggestion, but I had not tried for this problem because it's very tedious.  I had tried it in the past with a completely different setup, and never got through the list. Plus, I expect it will only search the pre-programmed codes: if it does an exhaustive search, there are theoretically 19999 different TV codes.

However; while researching replacement amplifiers / receivers, and looking to see if my RCA remote will work with Pyle amplifiers (apparently it won't), I stumbled on a fourth code for TCL TVs which is not in the booklet that came with any of my RCA remotes.

This will program the TV button to fully operate all of the TV and Roku functions in my TCL TV, including volume.

The volume control will only affect the Headphone outlet and not the Digital Audio outlet, and the output level of the Headphone jack is surprisingly low (apparently it's intended for Headphones only, not speakers or amplifiers), but it can be made to work by cranking up the volume control on the amplifier.  I don't need extremely loud output, so I'm set for now.

I'm still researching amplifiers because if one part of the old amplifier is broken, then it's likely that something else will break eventually.  But fortunately I'm all set for now.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BartZLederman 

See if RCA accepts code 14398?  If it does, try this; point the remote at the tv, tap set/setup key for one blink release, enter 00053. Did apple tv show up? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos