Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGDove
Level 8

Unable to Update New TCL Roku TV Software - Error 008

Jump to solution

TCL Roku TV. TCL model 55S20, Roku model C147X. Right out of the box when I connected the TV to the internet, it notified me of an available update. I clicked start update, it starts, but then immediately stops and gives me the error, "The software update failed because of a temporary firmware server issue. Error code: 008." Before anyone mentions any kind of troubleshooting, trust me, I've tried nearly all of them. I've even tried to update the software using a USB but that was unsuccessful as well. I would love to get help from an actual developer or someone who knows the software as I'm sure this problem could be alleviated with simply uninstalling/reinstalling the Roku software, if that is even possible. While I could return the TV, it was a Black Friday deal from Walmart and they have no others to replace it with.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HowAmIBetter
Level 9

Link to the File Sent to @ghkent by Roku Support (Final Solution)

Jump to solution
141 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Unable to Update New TCL Roku TV Software - Error 008

Jump to solution

What happened when you tried updating via USB?  Did you try TCL support for that route?

https://support.roku.com/article/115006475047-where-can-i-get-support-for-my-roku-tv-
https://support.tclusa.com/televisions

0 Kudos
Dlee
Level 8

Jump to solution

I’m in the same boat. Same exact tv from Walmart and it gives me code 008. I’ve tried router and hotspot. Still doesn’t work. Already hung on the wall so pretty annoyed about it. 

0 Kudos
Justant21
Level 8

Jump to solution

Having the Exact same issue, tried all of the support work arounds I could find. Kinda stumped now, wondering if it's a model issue and the reason it was in sale or if it's something more. 🤷‍♀️

MGDove
Level 8

Jump to solution

Oh yea I’ve talked with both TCL and Roku support multiple times and it always boils down to “have you turned it off and on again” and “you’ll have to return it.” I would really just like to be able to uninstall/reinstall the Roku software as it HAS to be what’s causing the issue since it was like this straight out of the box. A simple factory reset just puts it back in the same corrupted state it’s already in.

Justant21
Level 8

Jump to solution

If we return them, what, you're going to have an entire Black Friday tv Sale return? That seems fishy. That seems like they knew these were failed TVs and they were trying to make money off them. Which would be fine as long as they're honest. People would still buy these knowing the Roku portion didn't work as long as we don't feel set up. And I kinda feel set up at the moment

Money324
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m at the same issue and now I’m going through the warranty process which i hope isn’t gonna take forever but it’s gonna be like a minimum 2 weeks most likely cause everything they say is 7-10 business days. I had the tv, turned it on, went through the process, and boom error code 008. 

0 Kudos
lilbryan04
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same issue with exact same Wal-Mart black Friday tv. no success either on my end. 

0 Kudos
Hurleym
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same tv from BF Walmart and same issue. As of a few hours hour ago, ROKU finally added the model to their tvupdate.roku database. My correct tv came up 55S20 and I downloaded the firmware to USB. I plugged the USB into the tv, went to the update via USB where it verified my 12 digit code on the tv and provided a 6 digit code to complete the update. Upon entering the 6 digit code in the final step, I received "software update failed". This entire process is a joke. Network connected update doesnt work and now USB doesnt work. Cat 5 doesn’t work, system factory reset doesn’t work , different networks don’t work and both TCL and Roku support are worthless.

Ramjl
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sure I sound like a broken record here but I’m having same issue with this same Walmart BF TV Deal. I’ve done all the support suggestions including trying to update using USB. This is very frustrating and I feel tricked. There has to be a solution. There is no problem with internet either. That connects no problem. 

0 Kudos