Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markp
Level 9

USB player on RokuTV malfunction

All of a sudden the usb player on my roku TCL tv cuts out after about a minute of playback. Tried re installing with no luck. It's not a faulty thumbdrive as it plays on my other Micca player. Anybody have an answer? Appreciated.

[post moved]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: USB player malfunction

Try re-encoding the file with HandBrake using the Roku preset for the video encoding options.

Just because it plays back on the Micca player doesn't mean there isn't a corrupt frame in the video you are trying to play back.  It may just mean the Micca's tolerance for handling corrupt frames gracefully is higher.

0 Kudos
Markp
Level 9

Thanks for the quick response but it is happening with every video on various thumbdrive. Definitely the roku player.
0 Kudos
Markp
Level 9

Update. Now working for some unknown reason. Will recheck later.
0 Kudos
Markp
Level 9

Not functioning again. It goes into retrieving mode after video starts.
0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 8

I dont have a RokuTV but a Roku 2. I gave up on using the USB port with thumb drives.

I use Linux and it seemed Roku only supported .mkv files (Windblows compression) so I have

one of my computers hooked up to a HDMI port and can mirror anything over.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

@boogernose wrote:

I dont have a RokuTV but a Roku 2. I gave up on using the USB port with thumb drives.

I use Linux and it seemed Roku only supported .mkv files (Windblows compression) so I have

one of my computers hooked up to a HDMI port and can mirror anything over.

Roku supports media in the MKV, MP4, MOV and TS container. MKV has nothing to do with anything Windows specific, it's merely a container. Of more importance is the video and audio codecs within the container. See this page for a complete list of their supported codecs. Note that all current Roku players and all Roku TVs support MPEG-2 (H.262) video. The Roku 4 seems to be the last model that doesn't support it. And they don't mention supporting the TS container (.TS, .M2TS), but they do. 

Depending on the model Roku, some players cannot accept higher video bitrates. The older boxes were only capable of about a 12 Mbps stream, which is well below what a ripped HD video generally streams. In those cases the only option is to use a DLNA server that is capable of transcoding the video to a lower bitstream level. I have no issues with the newer boxes keeping up with HD movies (30-60 Mbps), and only run into network bottlenecks with my UHD movies (100+ Mbps).

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.