Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iShahin
Reel Rookie

USB device notification won't go away!

Jump to solution

Yesterday my USB stock in my Roku Hisense tv (55R6+) and as I tried to pull it out a small white plastic piece of the USB port broke off. Since then I have this notification on the bottom of my screen saying "This USB device requires more power. Use power adapter if available. For more help, visit: go.roku.com/USB" and I tried EVERYTHING but I can't get rid of it

I don't care about USB and don't want to spend money on it, I just want this annoying error message to go away so I can use my tv. I can't find a solution to this rather simple problem anywhere.

Please Help
Thank you

xyz.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: USB device notification won't go away!

Jump to solution

@iShahin 

I believe I saw your images on another website asking this question. (someone forwarded me some images with a link to question).   Either that, or someone else is having the same bad day.

If your TV is under warranty, then you will need to contact the manufacturer and see if there is something they can do. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...).

If your TV is out of warranty, or you are adventurous, then pull the power plug first.  Straighten out the 4 spades (only 1 looks bent.)  Then slide that plastic piece back in over the metal spades.  (this is really just an insulator and guide).

It really is only going to go in one way.  If you need a reference, just get a usb stick and see how that plastic piece fits into the stick.  Whether or not the port will again be usuable, who knows.  But if you can get that insulator guide back in, will hopefully make that message go away.  These things are very fragile so go slow and don't aim for perfection, just straight enough for the piece to slip back in while lined up with those spades.

Otherwise, you can certainly buy USB ports online, disassemble the TV and do some soldering. (only you can determine if you can do this.)  Otherwise, with the price of TV repairmen, may end up being cheaper getting a new TV. 

You can also try going into RokuTV settings and disabling the Auto-launch setting. (Settings/System/USB Media/Auto-launch (Off)

I think the only real way to disable the USB port completely would be to remove it from the board (de-solder the connection).

------

Wish I had better news for you.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@iShahin  Roku does not make TVs. Your TV was made by Hisense. How did you manage to break a USB port? What did you have plugged into it? As far as disabling the message you see? There isn’t anyway to disable it. Your TV is telling you there is a hardware issue. Maybe you take the TV to a repair shop if you cab find one. Try contacting Hisense. It’s a simple solution when something is physically broken 

0 Kudos
iShahin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku does not make TVs. Your TV was made by Hisense. How did you manage to break a USB port? What did you have plugged into it? As far as disabling the message you see? There isn’t anyway to disable it. Your TV is telling you there is a hardware issue. Maybe you take the TV to a repair shop if you cab find one. Try contacting Hisense. It’s a simple solution when something is physically broken

no sh*t, Einstein! why didn't I think of taking my TV to a repair shop? my tv was made by Hisense?! oh wow thanks for your brilliant insight. How about don't say anything if you don't have anything helpful to say? this is a support forum troll.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@iShahin  Relax, calm down. You asked for advice I gave it to you. There is no way to disable the message. Have a nice day 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@iShahin 

I believe I saw your images on another website asking this question. (someone forwarded me some images with a link to question).   Either that, or someone else is having the same bad day.

If your TV is under warranty, then you will need to contact the manufacturer and see if there is something they can do. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...).

If your TV is out of warranty, or you are adventurous, then pull the power plug first.  Straighten out the 4 spades (only 1 looks bent.)  Then slide that plastic piece back in over the metal spades.  (this is really just an insulator and guide).

It really is only going to go in one way.  If you need a reference, just get a usb stick and see how that plastic piece fits into the stick.  Whether or not the port will again be usuable, who knows.  But if you can get that insulator guide back in, will hopefully make that message go away.  These things are very fragile so go slow and don't aim for perfection, just straight enough for the piece to slip back in while lined up with those spades.

Otherwise, you can certainly buy USB ports online, disassemble the TV and do some soldering. (only you can determine if you can do this.)  Otherwise, with the price of TV repairmen, may end up being cheaper getting a new TV. 

You can also try going into RokuTV settings and disabling the Auto-launch setting. (Settings/System/USB Media/Auto-launch (Off)

I think the only real way to disable the USB port completely would be to remove it from the board (de-solder the connection).

------

Wish I had better news for you.  

iShahin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much. Yes, I did ask this question on Reddit as well and someone there suggested a very similar solution as you but without sticking back the plastic part step, and it worked for me. fortunately, in my case, all it needed was some push and straightening with a screwdriver. the discussion on the Reddit thread might be helpful for someone in the future so I include the link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/u6c4zk/how_can_i_get_rid_of_the_usb_device_notification/

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@iShahin 

Good to hear.  Glad you are back up and running.  👍

nickrg1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

had the same problem i try everything then i turnn off tv check usb port then reset the port(on the top off the usb port it say reset take a tooth pick and push to reset, then turn on tv ,it stop gone

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@nickrg1 

Just an FYI, that little Reset button is not for the USB port.  A short press will restart the RokuTV.  A long press will Factory Reset the RokuTV.

0 Kudos
nickrg1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

whatever i did it fix the problem no more notification  goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee