Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seraphine

USB 3.0 Bluray Player not working with TV

Hi! I have a Roku TV from 2018 with a USB port on it and the Media Player app. I just got an external Bluray Player that has a USB on it and is labeled on the bottom as a USB 3.0. Roku's support page says that USB 3.0 should work in 2.0 mode on the TV. The player lights up and reacts when plugged into the TV, but when I open the Media Player app it acts like nothing is connected. Any suggestions for getting it to work? Would a USB to HDMI converter work, or is that only for sharing the image, not the data?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: USB 3.0 Bluray Player not working with TV

The USB port on Roku TVs is only for connecting something like a flash drive to display pictures or watch videos stored on the drive.  I don't think there's anyway to get that Blu-ray player to work with anything other than a computer.  USB to HDMI converters are for getting video out of a computer.  The Blu-ray player doesn't have any other output other than the USB port?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
packetrat
Binge Watcher

Re: USB 3.0 Bluray Player not working with TV

Yes, a computer-type Blu-Ray drive has no hardware for playing video itself, depending on the attached computer for this function, In order for a USB hookup to work, the Roku TV would need special software and device drivers for reading data blocks from the drive, handling the special Blu-Ray DRM copy protection, navigating the disc directory structure, etc. which it does not have. I wouldn't expect any brand of Smart TV to support this (other than those few with a built-in BluRay drive), as it would add significant extra cost for something few people would ever use.

You need a normal Blu-Ray player meant for televisions, with its own, native HDMI output.