Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Turn Off Audio Narration on Roku TV

How do I turn off the narration on my Roku tv? There is no accessibility feature under settings...

[post moved to appropriate board]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Turn of Narration on Roku tv

While viewing movie or tv show press the option * key,  at the bottom item on the menu is there accessibility feature there?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yeah, it's there in the Settings menu. But you can also turn it off by hitting the * button four times quickly. That's likely how you turned it on in the first place. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

Unfortunately that does not work for my roku.  When pressing the option * 4 times it turns on the the audio guide.  . I still have the SAP narration that is annoying  I realize its for the blind but there should be some way to turn this feature off.  I have already tried the settings, audio, and turned off what I could find but it still narrates.  Any other help would be great.

Highlighted
Level 21

@pattipainter1 wrote:

Unfortunately that does not work for my roku.  When pressing the option * 4 times it turns on the the audio guide.  . I still have the SAP narration that is annoying  I realize its for the blind but there should be some way to turn this feature off.  I have already tried the settings, audio, and turned off what I could find but it still narrates.  Any other help would be great.

That's the only voice function in a Roku, If pressing * four times doesn't turn the voice off, then the voice isn't coming from the Roku. It's likely something in your TV. The only other possibility is the audio track of whatever you're playing has the narration. But it's not the Roku itself doing it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

I have a samsung tv and went through all the possible menu items and nowhere can I find anything to do with audio settings for the blind, or SAP.  I have searched the internet and cannot find a solution that suggests this would be the tv that I own.  I have had this tv at least, could be more, than 5 years and never had the narration on any of my channels.  Now I recently have hooked up the roku streaming and this is when it has all started.  At first it was the audio guide, which I know how to turn that off. But this is a narrative of the show, called SAP feature, that on my roku, I cannot find a menu item that deals with turning off the narration for the blind.  It is actually annoying since it does this on all channels I watch.  BTW, the audio guide on the roku is a woman and the narrator is a man.  Two different entities.  If anyone can figure this out I would appreciate the input. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@pattipainter1  Which streaming channel are you watching on your Roku when you observe this narration voice? 

On your Roku device, try going into Settings>Audio>Audio mode and select 'Stereo'. Does this resolve the issue? 

Keep us posted from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue, NONE of the "fixes" here have helped and it's only on NBC playback ( so far). This is on TWO different TVs with TWO different Roku players, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

did you find out how to turn off the SAP feature?  we don't even know how it got turned on.  please help me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Turn off Narration on Roku tv

It just stopped by itself a few days later. Bizarre!!!

0 Kudos