Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechieWill
Level 7

Trouble after 8.2 on TCL 55r617

Hey all,

I recently purchased a TCL 55r617 from Amazon (October 22nd) and all was well until it downloaded the 8.2 update this last week. The primary use for this TV is a display for a PC which I have running over HDMI to HDMI 3 on the TV.

After the update, any time I am displaying on HDMI 3, and interact the on screen display appears I have weird horizontal lines of static that flicker over the picture. An example is turning up or down the volume, or hitting the * to open the picture settings. Additionally I've had the TV crash twice to a complete black screen, and need to hit the power button to turn it back on which goes through the whole boot process (TCL Roku TV splash screen and all that).

The static does not happen on the main Roku home screen, it's as smooth as before.

I've tried a factory reset on the device already and that didn't seem to fix it. Also swapped out my HDMI cables, although I get zero issues (other than the two crashes) as long as no OSD appears.

Anyone else experience something like this? Should I just wait for update 9, or work through the hassle of sending back a 55" TV for a replacement?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Trouble after 8.2 on TCL 55r617

Have you tried any other HDMI in jacks? I use my Sharp 4K Roku TV all the time as a computer monitor and have no problems. I was a beta tester with 8.2 (running the public version now) and never had an issue. I can't say which jack I use, but I think it's HDMI 1.  
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TechieWill
Level 7

Just re-tested as I couldn't remember, but get the same issue on all 3 ports with my PC. Again, it is fine while there's no OSD up, but as soon as that appears it's almost like static racing across the screen (only takes up a few lines, not the full screen).
0 Kudos
tspecht
Level 7

Is there any known fix for this? Experiencing the very same issue after what I expect to have been a software update. I have intense flickering going on both in the main menus as well as apps like Netflix. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos