Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CopStalkingMe
Reel Rookie

Time to call BS (Baloney Sandwiches)

Some hacktivist POS put a boot loop on my Roku TV. Now it will not connect to the internet.

This means they overwrote the standard BIOS or Firmware equivalent for the Roku TV's basic operating system. If that BIOS or Firmware can be overwritten by a loser hacker, why can't Roku provide a method for flashing that BIOS back to it's original status?

What, am I supposed to have to go buy a new Roku TV every time this incredibly stupid exploit is tampered with?

Nobody thought this would be discovered by hackers?

2 REPLIES 2
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Time to call BS (Baloney Sandwiches)

@CopStalkingMe

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Roku TV to see if you are able to resolve the issue you are experiencing?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CopStalkingMe
Reel Rookie

Re: Time to call BS (Baloney Sandwiches)

Danny,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have done factory resets many times on this device, and never a problem. Now when I start the process, I am asked to supply a Roku account, and no matter what I do, update and verify that password, etc., the next step loops back to the screen asking for Roku account info.

This hack has been employed on several smartphones I have purchased over the years, at times when a crooked cop or other swine-like fascist person could have physically accessed the device.

The only other reasonable explanation would be that the hacker is changing the password from numerous different networks I have used, both at home and places like the local library, and is changing the password just after I reset it, in real time, performing the hack specifically when I seek to reconnect the Roku. This would make sense for a ridiculous crooked cop who objects to my watching certain programming on a Roku TV because he is a fascist, ridiculous relic Fundamentalist Christian who can't figure out why nobody wants to attend his insane church. Or pay monthly dues at a club that accepts him. If you surround yourself with a loser who does annoying, anti-Constitutional things like this, you're pretty much a loser.

A boot loop is a known, common hack that involves replacing a line of Firmware or BIOS code with a GoTo command that loops back to another line, indefinitely. 

I think Roku needs to devise a method to flash the Firmware or BIOS on their TVs, either remotely or via USB boot process.

0 Kudos