Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbuhl
Reel Rookie

The digital optical output from our new Roku 43R4A5R TV does not work.

Jump to solution

Hello all. We are setting up our new Roku 43R4A5R TV to work with our existing speaker system via the optical ouput. We have switched the TV's audio settings to use the optical output and we have verified that the optical input on the external speaker works using a separate source. Unfortunately, it appears that the digital optical output from our new TV does not work. I spoke with a customer service representative and their solution was to suggest that we purchase new Roku speakers as those are the "only speakers" compatible with the Roku TV. She verified that the optical output from the new TV does not work, and again suggested that we purchase new Roku speakers as that is the only way to get external speakers to work.

Using the optical output from the TV should allow us to use any external speaker/receiver solution that has an optical input ... but it appears that is not the case.

Hey Roku, when do you plan on resolving this issue? Thanks, Christian.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cbuhl
Reel Rookie

Re: The digital optical output from our new Roku 43R4A5R TV does not work.

Jump to solution

The TV indeed ended up being faulty. We exchanged it for a new one at our local BestBuy and the digital output on the replacement TV works as expected. The response from the Roku CSR representative was dissapointing ... and incorrect. The digital output from the Roku TV should allow any external speaker, receiver, etc. with a optical input to work. Take care, Christian.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Are you trying to say that every optical output on new Roku TVs doesn't work?  I sincerely doubt that.  If I bought a TV and something wasn't working properly I'd take it back.  Before you do, make sure you're inserting the optical cable all the way.  They can be remarkably hard to insert fully.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
cbuhl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojim, I know exactly what you are speaking about. Optical cables need to be gently pressed in until they click secure. We have tested the TV against another external soundbar using the optical signal, swapping ends on the cable, etc. Both the soundbar and speaker work using a different optical output source. This TV indeed does not output a digital signal through the optical output. The TV is only a few weeks old, so we should have no issue swapping it for another unit that has a functioning optical output. Thank you for the additional perspective.

0 Kudos
cbuhl
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The TV indeed ended up being faulty. We exchanged it for a new one at our local BestBuy and the digital output on the replacement TV works as expected. The response from the Roku CSR representative was dissapointing ... and incorrect. The digital output from the Roku TV should allow any external speaker, receiver, etc. with a optical input to work. Take care, Christian.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.