Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
birdchest9
Level 7

Re: 9.4 Update Broke HDR and Game Mode

Same on my TV as well

0 Kudos
ELxCHIMICHANGA
Level 7

Re: 9.4 Update Broke HDR and Game Mode

Same I just bought a Tcl 4 series yesterday and the first thing I did was test out game mode and it was unplayable. Really ruined my experience overall. 

0 Kudos
3WHughes
Level 7

Re: The 9.4 Update has broken HDR and added input lag on my 2020 TCL 6 Series

Check to make sure the update didn't adjust your tv's HDMI setting from auto, 2.0, or 2.1 to HDMI 1.4.

0 Kudos
ZeroCoolGOS
Level 7

As far as I know it did not change it as I don't think I had set the HDMI settings and may not have been aware of this mode/option.  I have just checked it and it seems that it was set to Auto.  When I have some time I will attempt to play with this setting and see if it fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
huew
Level 7

i'm having a similar issue with my 75R617's hdmi and tivo.  i have a 4k hdmi switcher that has an appletv/nintendo switch/tivo bolt connected. the appletv and switch have no issues.

i managed a work around by turn on and off the hdmi switch.  the signal comes through for a second then goes black and then the signal is stable.  it's a pain to have to power cycle the switcher.

i know the culprit is the 9.4 update since when i managed to downgrade the software to 9.3, it worked fine.  unfortunately, the 9.3 version only stuck around for a day when it was auto-updated the next evening and the 9.3 version isn't available any longer.

fix this roku and allow us to go back to the previous version until you do.

0 Kudos
TheGalaxy
Level 9

My game mode HDR seems to look okay, but now amazon prime HDR is broken again Smiley Sad

also, my TV keeps glitching when using the home button. Main menu screen is like glue. Input lag is 30 seconds, then it usually freezes and shuts off. Then it’s not bad, then it freezes and shuts off. I keep doing restart, then it goes back to the glitch.

the phone app is completely wonky as well.

I have the 6 series 2020 R635 65”

when everything is working, the TV looks amazing. Hope they fix it

0 Kudos
Skunk
Level 8

Just got my R635 today and Ill take it back this afternoon. My $230 Black Friday Roku by Onn looks better than this trash. Also, every picture mode besides HDR Gaming introduces unplayable lag on my PS4.  Also, HDR introduces horrible crushed blacks in Destiny 2. When SDR looks better than HDR, you've straight up broke it.  The crushed blacks are present on both my Onn and my TCL, both Roku.  My Samsung Q6 looks just fine.  This appears to be a Roku firmware problem.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Level 9

@Skunk wrote:

Just got my R635 today and Ill take it back this afternoon. My $230 Black Friday Roku by Onn looks better than this trash. Also, every picture mode besides HDR Gaming introduces unplayable lag on my PS4.  Also, HDR introduces horrible crushed blacks in Destiny 2. When SDR looks better than HDR, you've straight up broke it.  The crushed blacks are present on both my Onn and my TCL, both Roku.  My Samsung Q6 looks just fine.  This appears to be a Roku firmware problem.

Hi Skunk. 

Have you tried factory reseting and not hooking it up to the internet? It might go back the original firmware that came on the TV or it might stay on 9.4.0. But, ever since I had done that on my R615 I am in heaven again because how it's set up will never change. You do loose the ability to calibrate through the roku app but set on 'Movie" mode, set "Color" to about "55" every TV will be different and it's gets it pretty **bleep** close. I recently bought a Roku Ultra since its the first to have Dolby Vision and couldn't be happier now. I have had nothing but problems with my TV but if it works perfect after a factory reset DO NOT hook it up to the internet if you use any other external box. You do lose the Guide for OTA, but I'm willing to live with that since I don't use it much. If you hook it up to the internet and then disconnect, the standby light will always flash wanting a connection. 

0 Kudos
Skunk
Level 8

Unfortunately, Im not willing to jump thru hoops to get this thing to work like it should.  I should bet able to turn game mode off and not have to deal with game breaking lag.  My Samsung doesn't work like that, neither should this.  THX certified game mode, official set of COD...LOFL.  If TCL is going to pay for the certifications, maybe they should make a set that works.  Clearly theres a problem since 9.4, yet TCL and Roku remain silent.

0 Kudos
Mark_H-
Level 9

@Skunk wrote:

Unfortunately, Im not willing to jump thru hoops to get this thing to work like it should.  I should bet able to turn game mode off and not have to deal with game breaking lag.  My Samsung doesn't work like that, neither should this.  THX certified game mode, official set of COD...LOFL.  If TCL is going to pay for the certifications, maybe they should make a set that works.  Clearly theres a problem since 9.4, yet TCL and Roku remain silent.

I hear ya Skunk. Putting your money where your mouth is. Well, hope you find something that works for you. Take care. 

As a side note, when I contacted TCL recently, I let them know there are many threads on here with 9.4 issues and they are going to forward it to the proper team...for whatever that's worth.