Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The 9.4 Update has broken HDR and added input lag on my 2020 TCL 6 Series

A few days ago my 2020 TCL R635 65” Roku TV automatically updated to firmware 9.4 overnight. Since then, I’ve had two major problems that are making me want to tear my hair out. 

Broken HDR: before the update, HDR worked just fine when gaming on my PS4. The image was beautiful, the TV correctly detected the signal and switched picture modes flawlessly. After 9.4, the image is extremely dim with very limited contrast and looks horrible compared to SDR. No setting changes in the games, on the PlayStation, or on the TV can fix this and I’ve resorted to switching the PlayStation back into SDR mode. 

but even worse:

Massive added input lag: even in SDR game mode, with all the best settings applied, there is a noticeable and detrimental amount of input lag since the update. It feels like if you turn on HDR without the game mode on. It makes first person shooters infuriatingly unplayable. The official TV of Call of Duty, has now made the game unplayable with this update. 

And worst of all, there’s no option to roll back to 9.3 until Roku fixes this. 

Has anyone else had this experience? Is Roku even aware of this issue? I was incredibly satisfied with this TV purchase and with the Roku OS until the update hit. 

85 Replies
Level 8

Re: The 9.4 Update has broken HDR and added input lag on my 2020 TCL 6 Series

I actually Notice much improved black levels. Initially I thought this came at a cost increase input lag, however I didn’t notice any Perceivable increase in input lag. Make sure you tv HDR settings have not reset and game mode is on. After they update my game mode was switched off and I had to turn it back on. 

Level 8

I am having the exact same issue. After the my TCL 6 Series updated to 9.4.0 version, all my HDR settings disappeared. Also my Xbox no longer sees my TV as HDR compatible. I don't have any HDR10 or Dolby Vision settings. Is there going to be a fix for this new update?

Level 8

Glad to see I’m not entirely alone with these issues. 

I did some more testing and cycled the PlayStation’s HDR setting. After this, the input lag seemed to vanish in both SDR and HDR modes, but HDR in both PS4 games (RDR2 and MW2019) is still completely wrong (dimmer, flatter image than SDR and what it looked like before the update). It isn’t an issue with individual games either, as when HDR games trigger the PS4s output that triggers the TV, the entire system switches to HDR and the PS4 Home Screen is obviously dimmer than SDR. The only thing that changed was Roku’s firmware. I now just force everything into SDR but I’m really disappointed with this since HDR worked so well when I bought the TV.

I’ve considered a factory reset of the TV and skipping the internet connection setup and hoping that would be a way to roll me back. You might consider trying that too just to see if it works, unless the smart TV features are something you use frequently rather than streaming on your Xbox. Now I’m just hoping Roku is aware and will fix this at some point. 

Level 8

That’s very interesting, I don’t seem to have this problem, I wonder what is causing it. For me 9.4 actually improved black levels in game mode

Level 8

What do you game on? I think I’ve got a second or third gen normal PS4, not a PS4 Pro which I think introduced HDR support. Mine has it as well obviously, and that came in firmware, but I do wonder if it’s mainly an issue with the TV and console pairing. I’m not sure of any other way to test HDR on it, I don’t have any other sources. I tried watching some YouTube clips on the app in HDR but I don’t know if that’s in a different format (Dolby vision vs whatever the PS4 is using??). Nothing really stood out as much, and it did properly switch into HDR mode. It looked alright. Hard to tell with unfamiliar content, but like I said nothing was clearly wrong. 

is there any other way I could test this to see if it’s only an issue with the TV+PS4? I am tempted to factory reset and download the update again. It wouldn’t make sense but neither does this issue. 

Level 8

I play on ps4 pro. I also tested both HDR and SDR with a PC, worked flawlessly.

Level 7

My parents and I, two separate TVs in two separate houses, are having even worse issues, started happening immediately after updates. 

My TV is slow just how you described. My parents’ TV won’t even display anything on the screen. This update is a major bust.

Level 7

I just noticed yesterday that my video is completely black over and HDMI cable.  Audio works and video works if I eliminate the HDMI cable and plug directly to the TV.

I'm assuming that 9.4 is the culprit and have asked Roku when they plan to fix it.

Level 7

The update also screwed up my HDMI ports. I just got a PS5 so plugging it into port 3 gives me the right signal. When I try to plug in my PS4 Pro in the next port it constantly stutters on the PS4 Pro, and my PS5 screen turns black. 

Did not occur yesterday before this update came out. Also replacing the PS4 Pro with a Nintendo Switch no problems occur as stated above. What did you guys do with this update?!