Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DownieTD
Level 7

Re: The 9.4 Update has broken HDR and added input lag on my 2020 TCL 6 Series

I have the same issue with my Sharp Aquos TV using my Roku Ultra.  Roku logo is displayed at the start and then the screen goes blank.  I connected my laptop using the same HDMI cable and can view the desktop on the TV.  Have also connected the Roku via HDMI TV to an LG smart TV and have no issues.  Roku seems to work fine with that TV just not with the Sharp Aquos.  Had been working with the Sharp for over a year until 9.4 rolled out and now nothing.  TV still works using the same HDMI and video inputs now just not with my Roku Ultra.  Roku support says it is the TV even though the TV is working with other devices.  They made an "improvement" that has turned out to be detrimental to older TVs with HDMI inputs.

0 Kudos
Jinmasu
Level 8

Well I solved the issue on my end, just sold the TCL tv thats broken and went and go a new LG from bestbuy and said never again. Its been over a week now, no roll back, nothing. #boycottRoku

Windrew
Level 7

Re: 9.4 Update Broke HDR and Game Mode

Same problem, if there's two active 4k sources the picture on both goes haywire, serious issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. Thought my TV broke since I tried everything including factory reset, but seems I'm not the only one. (65R613)

0 Kudos
malrats
Level 9

I have the same issue on a 5 Series with an Xbox Series X. Only game mode makes anything bearable, and I never used to use game mode at all.

Audio issues galore.
0 Kudos
Skunk
Level 8

Thank you!  I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes the soap opera effect, especially in my video games.  Unfortunately, you cant use action smoothing or action clarity in the game mode, so no SOE in video games anymore.  This is unbelievable, my 3 year old Samsung has zero lag in any mode, including SOE level 10!

0 Kudos
Tismo
Level 7

The worst thing that TCL did was put roku OS in their TVs. Hopefully soon enough they start shipping their panels with android OS. 

0 Kudos
Dan-YH
Level 7

I am having the same issue. I am not sure when the update to 9.4.0 happened but I realized this when I took back my Amazon Prime membership to watch directly from the TV app (channel).

I tried tweaking the image with all kinds of settings but I still have a quite washed out but dark image with significant banding (colour steps) in the darks when the blacks seem to reach a limit.

So this right now is happening only when I watch HDR content while SDR is actually quite good.

When playing Dolby HDR content from Netflix I still notice the washed out colours but not as badly as with Amazon. I do not recall either when I first got the TV about 3 weeks ago that this was happening. I was watching some Netflix HDR movies & films and the colours were punchy. However, the issue is a lot more noticeable with Amazon video to the point it ruins the whole experience of watching HDR!

I  called TCL but nothing working after some troubleshooting. I will try Amazon next and also Roku to see what they say. 

If anyone has any update, would be appreciated!

BTW, I have a 65" R635

0 Kudos
Ceridwen
Level 10

But it worked before, so what does that say? I have mine on 10 bit on 9.3 and it’s working so what about 9.4 broke that. Is this working for anybody else? I feel like we shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to get things to work when they’re the ones that broke it to begin with. A firmware update shouldn’t break the hardware that it’s updating. That’s ridiculous.

0 Kudos
straken34
Level 8

I have 2 TCL TVs. A 4 series & a 5 series. Both are at 9.4.

Model No. 55S525 - series 5 with Dolby Vision

- Turning HDR on in the PS5 & xbox one yields a very dark picture. Colors are faded - absolutely can't play games with HDR turned on. Games look great with HDR turned off & playing in 4k SDR... Dolby Vision / HDR streaming straight from the TV's apps look brilliant & work as intended. 

Model No. 55S405 - series 4 with standard HDR

- Turning HDR on in the PS5 & xbox one yields a properly functioning HDR experience.

It looks like the culprit may be Dolby Vision and/or the HDMI ports. Both TVs are on the exact same settings. The only difference is one TV has dolby vision & one does not. I have chatted with TCL support twice and they said they will get back to me by end of the weekend. 

0 Kudos
jrod2
Level 8

Since my TCL 6 series updated to 9.4 my Xbox constantly flashes between black and static screens. I tried to call TCL 3x today and got 3 hang ups from them.

I tried the suggestion from @AP2507 and so far my Xbox Series X has stopped flashing between black and snow constantly. Hopefully this will last but TCL really needs another patch since 9.4 broke everything.