Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dman20
Level 7

Tcl 6 series 55R615: Reds are orange and colors too vibrant

I recently just got this tv and I've been trying to optimize my tv picture to my liking, so I downloaded the Roku app to be able to access expert picture settings and I noticed that the color space is defaulted to "native". The other options are "auto" or "custom". Choosing "native" is the ONLY way I can see red and of course everything is super vibrant and oversaturated. If I switch the color space to anything else the reds become orange and the other bright colors become inaccurate. I hear that "auto" is the best color space setting to use, but it's so inaccurate (reds are orange, etc) that I can't watch it. There seems to be nothing I can do to try and correct it because I've already tried messing with all the picture settings on my tv. Can someone please help me and either confirm if this is normal or abnormal for this tv? BTW, this only seems to be a problem with regular SD content. HDR doesn't appear to be affected by this color space issue. Could this be an issue with the color space and Roku applying the wrong color wheel to SD content?
18 Replies
skuzast
Level 7

Re: Tcl 6 series 55R615: Reds are orange and colors too vibrant

I am having the opposite problem.  Everything in SDR looks fine.  HDR 10 is mostly okay, but the darks are oversaturated... and in DOLBY VISION, it is even worse.

0 Kudos
Bh2003
Level 7

Does this also happen on the OTA Antenna input?

0 Kudos
THRobinson
Level 7

Ever sort this out?

Had this TV for almost 2yrs, but just now starting to take advantage of the 4k 10bit colour, and seems like 10bit colour using the old standard bt.709 is ok, but using bt.2020 switches my screen to HDR (small logo pops up for a second) and everything has too much reds/pinks.

Caucasian people all look like they have a slight hint of magenta glowing out of their skin, and I was about to watch Mad Max Fury Road and everything looks like it was filmed 20min before sunset. Unwatchable for colour. Same movies, non-HDR and the colour is great.

0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

I have same issue with 55S535. I can’t adjust color space to get a “normal” picture.  Has anyone been able to get a fix. If not I plan on returning this TV

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Paddler77 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Paddler77
Level 9

I contacted TCL regarding red color over saturation on my 55R635.  I adjust using custom color space settings but they go back to native over saturated settings once TV is turned off then back on.  
They recommend returning TV because of firmware glitch specific to my TV. I find this hard to believe.  I am about to give up on TCL TVs and Roku.

Paddler77
Level 9

Update:  TCL is in the process of sending out technician to try to fix the TV 55R635.  I can’t get replacement through Walmart because they are currently sold out.

TV over last 2-3 days started freezing then reset itself. It also randomly gets very loud but “fixed” by resetting TV.

Not sure if this is firmware or defective motherboard.  
Either way it’s pretty ridiculous to have such problems with a brand new TV.

oxispam
Level 8

Hi Paddler77, what came out from the TV repair? Mine (TCL 55R535) does the same as yours, not only with the red colors but with the freeze/reset behavior. What I noticed is that the freeze happens only when I switch the resolution of the TV (I use it almost exclusively as my computer monitor). As I rarely actually need to do this, and doesn't happen always anyway, I decided to ignore the problem, but it was fairly easily reproducible when I wanted to.

Paddler77
Level 9

TCL is in the process of sending technician out to my home to replace the motherboard.  To be honest I doubt this will fix the problem.  I am hoping Walmart gets tv back in stock so I can just replace the TV. TCL refused to replace product.  I suspect that hyper saturated colors stems from how TV handles SDR vs HDR content.  

I am not sure what caused freezing and resetting problem but it hasn’t recurred since I performed hard reset in Recovery mode (firmware update). Very frustrating and time consuming!!!

You should consider contacting TCL to let them know that you are having same problem.  Maybe they will realize this is likely widespread issue that needs to be fixed.